Dry hopping at lower temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashley

Reaction score
According to Brewdog's Punk IPA recipe they advise dry hopping after fermentation at 15deg.

'To get the best possible profile from the dry hops we recommend dry hopping post fermentation for 5 days. Dry hops should be added at cellar temperature. We find 14°C results in the most aromatic dry hop profile.'

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on it.

Cheers!

The warmer the beer, the better chance of the hops giving up their goodness.
Conversely you dont want it too warm or the hop oils will volatilise.
So I make sure the fermentation has properly finished, then its 4 days at about 19*C then 2 days at low temperature to help drop the hops and the remaining yeast.
Works for me. Brewdog can do what they want.

The warmer the beer, the better chance of the hops giving up their goodness.
Conversely you dont want it too warm or the hop oils will volatilise.
So I make sure the fermentation has properly finished, then its 4 days at about 19*C then 2 days at low temperature to help drop the hops and the remaining yeast.
Works for me. Brewdog can do what they want.
When placing at a low temperature, does it have to be a steady low temp? I'm thinking of loosely cold crashing this one in the garage. I imagine it can be anywhere between 3-10 deg at the moment.

Just find the coldest place you have, in my case its the garage. In summer I use my fridge. However small ambient temperature variations shouldn't make any difference at this stage, its only during the primary that this matters.

I'm semi cold crashing a beer for the first time; in the shed at roughly 8 deg C. One question springs to mind, when I come to bottling, should I bring the temp of the beer up to room temp before?

Back