Dry-hopping cider after primary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muppix

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning Gang!

I've a 23 litre vessel of home made cider that's well and truly finished primary, if anything I've probably neglected it a little too long since it's already started to clear. FG is exactly 1.000 which should make around 6% ABV from the 1.046 we started with way back in September.

I was about to bottle this when I remembered how impressed I was with the taste of the MJ Hopped Cider kit I bottled a few weeks ago. I've got several bags of Citra lying around, dare I try and dry-hop my own cider for a couple of days before bottling? If so, should I try to induce secondary fermentation with some sugar and wine yeast and add the hops towards the end of secondary, or skip that and add them now, when there's absolutely no fermentation going on?

Cheers!

I would suggest making a hop tea and adding that.
Trying to "restart" a fermentation can be shall we say be problematic.!!!
Though at only 6%abv not impossible.

Cheers JCR, though I probably should have said that I have hop pellets, not just hops. I'm hoping that'll negate the need for hops tea.

Restarting this particular cider isn't a problem. The FV I'd like to dry-hop is one of three, and the other two have in turn been boosted to 8% and enhanced with cherry and blueberry, but I'm happy to leave this at 6%, only mentioning the possibility of secondary because I'm new to all this and don't know if it's OK to dry-hop so long after fermentation has finished.

Since the cider tastes fine now I suppose I'll either end up with something that still tastes fine, or tastes fine but in a hoppy way. Fingers crossed ...

Latest posts

Back