dry hopping & cold crashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablosaurus

Reaction score
ello ello

I have a Youngs AIPA in the FV at the moment and am a few days away from dry hopping. I was thinking of cold crashing before bottling to hopefully clear the beer a bit and, hopefully, solidify the bottle sediment - in the past I have ended up with white whispy dregs in bottles of otherwise crystal clear beer, which then makes its way up the bottle during a steady pour, and interferes with the beer before it's all in the glass (or, I should say, almost all - I get that you need to leave a little in the bottom of the bottle).

Is this a good idea?
Given that I'm supposed to dry hop just two days before bottling, will a cold crash reduce the effectiveness of the hops? Can I combine the two without negatively impacting the brew?

Thanks in advance, folks.

well there is new evidence that cold crashing to 5-10c and then dry hopping gives you different and more desirable characteristics than dry hopping warm.

also seems like a 2 day dry hop may be better than longer as you get full exctraction of oils without the vegetalness.

and yes cold crashing will minimize yeast in the bottom of the bottle. it will also take longer to carbonate. but there will still be yeast on the bottom. if you are really worried about a little yeast in the pour use a more compact yeast like s-04 or keg and bottle.

also I did a recent batch with a cold dry hop 4c it's only been in the bottle for 5 days but the first sample was promising.

Great! Thanks for the info...I'll have a read. Sounds from the above that it probably won't hurt, and might even improve things.

Brewdog state in their DIY DOG 2019 that
"Dry hops should be added at cellar temperature. We find 14°C results in the most aromatic dry hop profile."
I do this for 3 days then drop to 5°C for a max of 2days before transfer (to keg - anything remaining goes into bottles). 1 day before transfer i add a tsp of gelatin to help clear things up (@ 5°C).
Works quite well for me but i'm still experimenting with different procedures.

Noob post alert.

Apologies. I do not know what these terms mean
Cold crashing?
Dry hopping?

Be gentle.

Noob post alert.

Apologies. I do not know what these terms mean
Cold crashing?
Dry hopping?

Be gentle.
Cold crashing is US homebrewspeak, adopted over here, for the process where, after the primary fermentation has finished, the FV is moved a cold place (think fridge in an ideal world) for a few days. This is done to encourage any suspended yeast to go to sleep and drop giving a clear or almost clear beer for packaging. An alternative term is crash cooling.
Dry hopping is where hops are added to a beer, usually at the end of the primary, to give the beer additional aroma and some flavour increase . It does not affect the bitterness. More on that here.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/a-newbies-guide-to-dry-hopping-your-beer.61045/

Cold crashing is US homebrewspeak, adopted over here, for the process where, after the primary fermentation has finished, the FV is moved a cold place (think fridge in an ideal world) for a few days. This is done to encourage any suspended yeast to go to sleep and drop giving a clear or almost clear beer for packaging. An alternative term is crash cooling.
Dry hopping is where hops are added to a beer, usually at the end of the primary, to give the beer additional aroma and some flavour increase . It does not affect the bitterness. More on that here.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/a-newbies-guide-to-dry-hopping-your-beer.61045/
Many thankings

Another piece of the jigsaw fits.

👍🍻💪

Latest posts

Back