Dry hopping during pressure fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am relatively new to pressure fermenting, and am doing my first brew with a dry hop. I'm currently fermenting a punk IPA clone from MM. The instructions state to dry hop when FG is reached, at 14degC.

Obviously one of the benefits of pressure fermentation is keeping oxygen away from the beer. Now as I understand it, people generally dry hop in a pressure vessel when fermentation is still active, the idea being the oxygen will be stripped away by the CO2 being produced. I also understand dry hopping under pressure helps retain the hop aroma.

So my question is should I go against the kit instructions and dry hop whilst fermentation is still active, or follow the instructions and maybe purge the headspace with CO2 after dry hopping.

All views and experiences welcome.

Cheers

Yes heard that approach before, have ordered magnet plus a Teflon coated one, toying with the idea of using a tea strainer which with open when dropped to allow the hops to move about more. Will see. Thanks for the reply

Put the hops in a bag with a magnet in it then put a magnet on the outside to keep it in place. When it's time to dry hop : bombs away!
All done, thanks for the suggestion
IMG_20201118_180723.jpg

Is there a risk with this approach of the hops going a bit soggy / funny before being dropped into the wort due to the humidity inside the vessel?

Interesting question. I guess as the hops are in a CO2 environment inside the FV I think they will be fine. I've never heard of any issues with doing it this way

Is there a risk with this approach of the hops going a bit soggy / funny before being dropped into the wort due to the humidity inside the vessel?
Difficult to tell if they have gone soggy, but there doesn't seem to be any adverse effect when I've done it

Latest posts

Back