Dry hopping in a fermentation bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverShadow

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Time to ask the experts, so I'm a bit less of a brewing buffoon 😎

In my current setup I have a simple plastic fermentation bucket (tap at bottom, hole in lid for airlock). Half way through (1week) the process I intend to dry hop with 25g cascade in a muslin bag.

I've read of various weird & wonderful setups, of how folks deliver the hops while keeping 02 exposure to a minimum. But I wanted to know how you guys have efficiently done this in the past for a bog standard bucket setup...

Have you used any specific kit to deliver hops/flush out the 02, or just added the hops and not worried too much?

I'm guessing if the latter, then maybe add hops almost at the end of fermentation, to minimise 02 impact? I'm trying to find a simple, easy solution to start with...

Also, for those dry hopping, do you prefer early/late/multiple hopping? Most reports suggest late to reduce oils seeping into the brew, but some recipes seem to do it early...

Many thanks for your input 😉

I dry hop in the secondary which is what you've got. I put the hops in a muslin bag and weight it. Just open the lid and add. Usually leave for 4 days. Never had an issue.

I just chuck them in loose when fermentation has finished, usually around day 10 and leave for three days or so.
Then cold crash to drop them out of suspension.
People get their knickers in a twist about oxidisation but it's never been a problem for me 🙂

If you're dry-hopping in small amounts (25g of Cascade would fall under this) then oxidation is much less of a problem than if you're brewing something with a large dry hop charge, where oxidation susceptibility is a big problem regardless of what you may be told.

Just lob them in near the end of fermentation and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Cheers guys 😁

I will add then tomorrow. Previously I just used to chuck the hops in towards the end, but noticed last time the brew colour was a bit too light & tasted a bit sour, so wasn't sure if it was due to the oxidation.

Sounds like it's probably a contamination issue. 'Schoolboy hands' cleanliness 😜

Cheers guys 😁

I will add then tomorrow. Previously I just used to chuck the hops in towards the end, but noticed last time the brew colour was a bit too light & tasted a bit sour, so wasn't sure if it was due to the oxidation.

Sounds like it's probably a contamination issue. 'Schoolboy hands' cleanliness 😜

Look out for darkening and unpleasant sweetness for oxidation.

Look out for darkening and unpleasant sweetness for oxidation.
Yep I've got that on my last heavily dry hopped kveik beer despite trying my best to keep oxygen away. Large hop quantity, warm temp and middle of fermentation. Very difficult not to get oxidation of some amount. Realising I need to go direct from FV to fridge storage.

Back