Dry hopping in a keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a NEIPA in the fermenter. Trying a different dry hop method this time...the plan is to fully ferment (no biotransformation in this recipe) then pressure transfer to a keg. The keg will already have in it a hop tube with the hops inside, and purged with CO2. The beer will be transferred into this keg for a 3 - 5 day contact time. I'll then transfer the beer into another keg as I don't want the beer sat on the hops for any more than the planned contact time.

Seems pretty straight forward and simple...however what about cold crashing to drop out the solids? I could cold crash before transferring to the keg to transfer clearer beer in the first place, then bring back upto temperature once the cleaner beer is in the keg....or just transfer the beer, dry hop in keg 1, then cold crash in keg 2. Only potential issue with this is I don't have a floating dip tube in any of my kegs so worried about any solid matter dropping out of suspension in the cold crash and being sucked up by the dip tube...guess I could just suck up all the junk?

Anyone done this and have any experience/suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi, I did a similar thing, but I added the dry hops straight from the start in the fermentation (under pressure) - as the temp was warm it was done in 5 days. So didn't sit too long on the hops. Having a floating dip tube was loads better - I did without for a 2nd brew and ended up with loads more junk in the final keg once I transferred it. I did clear a load off first, but after pouring away 3 pints I I thought I was over the worst. Now I have a corny lid with built in dip tube.

I’ve done it with an ipa but just left the hops in the keg in a hop sock. Didn’t do it any harm at all and gave a fantastic aroma for the entire keg.
I have another in the shed with 25g vic secret in it for 2 weeks now and will start drinking it tomorrow night.

Latest posts

Back