Dry hopping in keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
As the title says going to give this a shot to see if u can get that fresh hop whack in my pints any info on this was thinking of a split 10 litre in each keg one as is and one with maybe 50 to 75 g hop

How do you plan to add them. I have thought of trying this on my next Neipa attempt. I was either going to purchase the cylinder with the fine mesh or use a hop bag suspended from the lid with some fishing gut

How do you plan to add them. I have thought of trying this on my next Neipa attempt. I was either going to purchase the cylinder with the fine mesh or use a hop bag suspended from the lid with some fishing gut
Careful with that one, mate. It can be tricky to get a perfect seal with fishing line. And oxygen is not a friend of NEIPA. I have one of those fine mesh cylinders and it's class. Holds hundreds of grams of pellets. You could throw the hop bag straight in but I would have concerns about it clogging the dip tube.

Sanitized cable tie a muslin bag to dip dube 25 percent from bottom was plan

Hmmm, I recently tried a 115g dry hop in the FV without a hop bag for the first time and I’ve probably ended up with not far short of 50g in the keg 😬
How on earth did u get beer out I tried a 200 g dry hop and had awful hassle emptying fv

Does a muslin bag full of pellets float or sink? The clogging issue could be avoided by choosing the appropriate dip tube.

Just tried this for the crack not much flavour it is only leaf though
Small bit coming through from some citra leaf

Attachments

• 16239507264038261309602132194647.jpg
    16239507264038261309602132194647.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 55
I have one of those metal cylinders with mesh sides, too.
It's grand.

So dry hop the serving kegs. Is there any negative effects to a prolonged dry hopping? I've heard, in the past, that it can give the beer a grassy note.

I've never had any problem with grassy notes and it was something I was concerned about. I'm putting it down to another thing that is exacerbated by oxidation. I've had kegs with hops in for months and they've tasted as fresh as the day they've gone in.

So dry hop the serving kegs. Is there any negative effects to a prolonged dry hopping? I've heard, in the past, that it can give the beer a grassy note.
I dry hopped for 15 days in FV turned out to be one of my top brews

How on earth did u get beer out I tried a 200 g dry hop and had awful hassle emptying fv
I only kegged it at the weekend so I haven’t had the pleasure of trying to get it out yet 🤞

Edit - Sorry, misread the question. I used a syphon. 50g of hop debri was an exaggeration but there was a lot transferred over (I could see it through the tubing) to the point the syphon was pretty clogged at the end and I ended up leaving a lot of beer behind.

You can get corny keg lid replacements that have a loop on the underside for attaching a floating dip tube to....or a hop spider...

Latest posts

Back