Dry hopping (once or twice???)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Evening everyone.

Apologies in advance if this has been asked a million times before. Basically just needed a bit of advice with dry hopping. I read the how to guide but wanted a little further info.

Yesterday I knocked up a simple pale ale with malt extract and steeped light crystal. It's a 10L batch with 10g chinook @ 60mins, 20g cascade @ 15mins, 20g cascade @ flameout (all pellets). I usually ferment in the primary for around 2 weeks and bottle straight from it. I'm thinking of slinging in 50-60g of cascade. Was thinking of around half way through on about day 7. But then I thought maybe 30g on day 5 or so and 30g day 10 or so??? Any point hopping twice? Also too little/too much. Basically what would you do? Fancy a decent hop presence....

Any feedback is greatly welcomed.

Cheers ears....

Last edited:
There's a lot of debate about this, but I find if you dry hop for too long then it can start to taste grassy or vegetal. You only really need to dry hop for a couple of days to get the full hop extraction. I try not to leave them in for more than 5 or 6 days. 50-60g of cascade should be plenty in a 10L beer for a decent hop presence.

Back