Dry hopping technique

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also the hole in the top of the lid was resolved by 3D printing a plug!

Attachments

• IMG_20181106_182824.jpg
    IMG_20181106_182824.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 68
Evening all just thought I'd update on the dry hop experinent.

1) Racked from primary into a CO2 purged 25l bucket. Also in the bucket were about 15 or so sanitised clear marbles off ebay
2) Burst some more CO2 in the headspace before putting the lid on and bringing into the house
3) Two or three times a day for 3 days I gave the bucket a good shake, as vigorous as possible. Found out the lid seals on plastic buckets are not that great.
4) Cold crashed for 24 hours in fridge. Didn't put temperature control on and as a result the beer froze... Next time will put inkbird in fridge in liquid to prevent this and set at 3 degC
5) following successful thaw and re crash down to 3 racked into CO2 purged corny keg
6) force carbed at 30 PSI (though in future may slow carb to stop scrubbing of aroma when depressurising to serve)

Served and result is seriously good. 10x more hop aroma and flavour than when I've bottle conditioned. Will not be going back for sure.

For my next brew I plan on using the corny keg itself as the secondary for dry hopping. This way no chance of any leaks at all.

Interesting having a look at the hop matter left in the bucket, very fine silt like consistency unlike when I've just dropped a load of pellets in where they tend to swell up.

One thing to note is the beer pours very hazy, despite cold crashing, which for me personally is a nice characteristic.

But what’s not to love about a hazy hoppy beer. Great experiment.

Just tried the CO2 rumbling again on a different beer with (what smelled like) much better hops.
I'm gonna try to refine the technique a bit this time by only doing it once a day for 3 days, and not letting any CO2 escape during rumbling.
Tonights effort went well and I managed to get all the hops moving around nicely before the pressure got too high in the FS

Just tried the CO2 rumbling again on a different beer with (what smelled like) much better hops.
I'm gonna try to refine the technique a bit this time by only doing it once a day for 3 days, and not letting any CO2 escape during rumbling.
Tonights effort went well and I managed to get all the hops moving around nicely before the pressure got too high in the FS
that's what i was thinking of trying next. Although transferring carbonated is harder work as the keg and the transfer line needs to be cold to reduce foaming.

If you dry hop using these XL 11cm infusers, don't use more than 50g of pellets.
Otherwise like me you will find it will swell up and be so jam packed that oils will be kept within the centre of the hop lump.

Attachments

• Tea strainer.jpg
    Tea strainer.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 53
Back