dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there earlier I put 25g's each of citra & amarillo hop pellets into a muslin bag and into my john bull IPA for dry hopping.

I also have a Wilko IPA and 50g of Columbus ready to do likewise but alas I do not have another muslin bag. Would it be ok to just put them into the FV with the IPA or would it be better to wait for another 5 days or so when I can then use the muslin bag?

Whether you use a bag or not is entirely down to personal choice. Using a bag stops the hops going forward, but there is a chance the hops don't give up all their goodness because they are in a confined space. I chuck em in nowadays but I use a small nylon mesh 'sock' over the FV end of the siphon tube (which came from a Festival kit) and this works well for me
If you don't fancy the risk of hop carry over then best advice is to wait. But other folks do manage without a bag presumably they are really careful as they siphon off.
Finally one way of encouraging 'free' hops to drop is to rap the sides of the FV at the liquid/headspace interface from time to time over the dry hop period , and then at the end of the dry hop period put your FV in the coldest place you have.

Nip to Wilco's and buy a Landry bag for bra's.
Got 4 before christmas, 2 for the wife's over shoulder boulder holders and 2 for hop bags.
Being that much bigger than the tiny muslin bags you get with kits, the hops can 'circulate' and they're fine enough mesh that it retains the hops.
I think they were a pound for 2

Throw them straight in! I don't bother with a Muslin, give it 5 days and then put the fv outside for a day or 2 to chill down. You will have a good comparison to your other brew then and you can see for yourself how much of a difference it makes and report back,

Latest posts

Back