Dry Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverShadow

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm just starting to get into brewing my first batch (IPA) and thought i'd ask you guys from some expertise ;)

I'm thinking of dry hopping my brew to add extra depth of flavour to my brew, but not sure on the exact details.

As i understand it, to dry-hop i add hops (pellets) into the brew once the mash/sparge is completed and the liquid cooled, then leave them in there for the duration of the fermentation until i'm ready to condition in my keg?

I presume i need to add up front rather than keep adding as i go along (for fear of contamination), but if i can add at intervals then does anyone have tips about what times/ amounts to add during the fermentation process?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an existing thread or trustworthy web article around this then feel free to direct me there

Many thanks for your help guys
Cheers 😄
Mark

Many thanks Clint.

Just out of interest, I presume at this point bacterial contamination is an issue, so use gloves and sanitise all items going into the liquid?

If you have any experiences, pros/cons of this I'd be most grateful to hear your thoughts

I'm wondering if this is something I should try later when I'm more experienced

Hops are naturally antiseptic. It's safe to just chuck em in. The thing is then to leave them for a few days then cold crash,if you have temp control,to drop the debris.
If you have no temp control you can bag the hops. A new veg net from Sainsbury's is ideal...or something similar...muslin bag from a HB shop...but you should sanitise the bag in something like Starsan before use. It's also a good idea to weigh the bag down..marbles of stainless cutlery can be used for this..but again sanitise!

I throw mine into the keg when I fill it. They go into a sanitised muslin bag and stay there until the keg is empty. If done it with whole hops and pellets. I've done with and without the bag. I definitely prefer the bag option for easy of cleanup at the end and for keeping floaty bits out of my glass.

Hi Everyone.
I've got a brew going from a recipe on the Grainfather community, where it says to use Citra and Simcoe to dry hop "Time 3 days".
Does this mean I add the hops to the fermenter three days after pitching the yeast, or do I add the hops three days prior to when the fermentation is expected to finish (10 days)?
Thanks.

Hi Everyone.
I've got a brew going from a recipe on the Grainfather community, where it says to use Citra and Simcoe to dry hop "Time 3 days".
Does this mean I add the hops to the fermenter three days after pitching the yeast, or do I add the hops three days prior to when the fermentation is expected to finish (10 days)?
Thanks.
It's for the last 3 days in the fermenter. I wait until gravity has stabilised and then decide when I'm going to bottle or keg. I chuck the hops in 3 days before then.

Hi there,

I'm just starting to get into brewing my first batch (IPA) and thought i'd ask you guys from some expertise ;)

I'm thinking of dry hopping my brew to add extra depth of flavour to my brew, but not sure on the exact details.

As i understand it, to dry-hop i add hops (pellets) into the brew once the mash/sparge is completed and the liquid cooled, then leave them in there for the duration of the fermentation until i'm ready to condition in my keg?

I presume i need to add up front rather than keep adding as i go along (for fear of contamination), but if i can add at intervals then does anyone have tips about what times/ amounts to add during the fermentation process?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an existing thread or trustworthy web article around this then feel free to direct me there

Many thanks for your help guys
Cheers 😄
Mark
You will find a whole lot of opinions on when, how, what temperature, how long etc there’s no exact answer but I think the most common technique is to put them in for the last 3 - 4 days of fermentation, when the fermentation process would’ve completed.

I throw mine into the keg when I fill it. They go into a sanitised muslin bag and stay there until the keg is empty. If done it with whole hops and pellets. I've done with and without the bag. I definitely prefer the bag option for easy of cleanup at the end and for keeping floaty bits out of my glass.
Is dry hopping with a muslin bag as effective

Latest posts

Back