Dry Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
I have just watched a David Heaths video on creating NEIPA and in that in the dry hopping section he mentions the various stages of adding the hops for dry hopping. He states that he adds the hops for so many days before removing them to stop grassy flavours . My question how is this possible to carry out using an all rounder without the risk of oxygenation to the brew.

Hi Peter. There are some interesting comments in this post about dry hopping.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/recipes-with-dry-hop.93327/#post-1019731
Might answer your question. I don’t have a lot of experience in this area but the NEIPA I brewed a few weeks ago I added the dry hops (that were suspended in a net bag on the underside of my fermentation bucket, so no air was let in) after 4 days after fermentation started, cold crashed after a further 3 days and then transferred to a KK after another 3 days. All in all, the dry hops were in the beer for 6 days and no grassy nasty 🙂

I think we had a similar thread not long since and still in my opinion you would need to leave hops in for a really long time to get any potential grassiness and then I am not going to say it is a urban myth but I have never had it and a lot of other forum members haven't had them as well.

So if you want to leave your hops in for longer than planned do not worry it will turn out alright.
This is one of those where the experts are wrong as practice by myself and many others have never had it.
It's all down to whether you trust theory or practice just remember according to the experts its impossible for a Bee to fly:tinhat:

according to the experts its impossible for a Bee to fly:tinhat:
That was indeed the case according to the French experts in the 1930s, but to be fair the analytical tools then available were extremely basic.
Despite earlier claims to have 'solved' the puzzle, the complete answer was only finally determined about five years ago by mathematicians at the University of Manchester ( link )

It's all to do with tiny vortices of air at the bee's wing tips. These enable the insect to angle its wing more sharply before it stalls, by improving the flow of air over the wing. It’s this higher wing angle that gives bees, fruit flies and even humming birds enough lift to fly.

I did leave a couple of times my beers for a month on their dry hops, and I have never had a grassy taste.

What I did experience (because I like to experiment) is that dry hopping with bittering hops works, but tends to add a more different, bitter taste to beer. More akin to the bitterness of a hop tea.

Having as a kid tasted grass, because the rabbits ate it :-), I can definitely confirm that I haven't had a grassy taste in any of my dry hop beers.

Latest posts

Back