Dry hops added without bags

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philmac

Reaction score
hello
I made the rookie error of adding my hops in the dry hop phase without putting them in a bag first- now when I test gravity there’s a lot of hops and I’d imagine it’ll clog up my bottling equipment when I do that tomorrow- any ideas of how to stop this?
Won’t make that mistake again!
Cheers

hello
I made the rookie error of adding my hops in the dry hop phase without putting them in a bag first- now when I test gravity there’s a lot of hops and I’d imagine it’ll clog up my bottling equipment when I do that tomorrow- any ideas of how to stop this?
Won’t make that mistake again!
Cheers

Cold crash the beer and then siphon to a bottling vessel.

I've done the same - on purpose, I want the flavour to flood out ;-) I will be using a small hop bag when I siphon to the bottling vessel and adding gelatine too.

I've done the same - on purpose, I want the flavour to flood out ;-) I will be using a small hop bag when I siphon to the bottling vessel and adding gelatine too.
Yeah I don't think that it's a rookie error either. I've only ever just slung em in. With a good 'cold crash' they sink to the bottom and I've never had to use anything over the end of the racking cane

Just bottled there now- good recipe that, it’s a Sierra Nevada clone recipe- most popular recipe off brewersfriend, I’d recommend it. it’s tastes good atm. Suppose it’s not bad to have a wee bit of hops seeing as it’s more authentic

Not a rookie error, I've never used bags. Just fish them out with a sterilised spoon and put a little mesh bag over the end of your syphon to trap any remaining ones. Quite a few kits come with those bags, I keep them and re-use them.

Back