Dry Hops - Filtering?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeAdz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have added the hops to my Beer Kit, been in there a few days, beer was pretty nice before but now its got lots of "bits" floating around it, what am I going to do to get rid of those for kegging/bottling??

If you have a cold shed and its finished fermenting stick it in there on the floor or a flag leave for 3 or 4 days and the bits will drop out to the bottom, its called cold crashing if you have a fridge even better, keep the lid on beer will be fine athumb..

Or put your hops in a bag next time so you can take them out after your dry hop, use a couple of stainless steel dessert spoon in the hop bag to weigh the hops down or they will float

If you have a cold shed and its finished fermenting stick it in there on the floor or a flag leave for 3 or 4 days and the bits will drop out to the bottom, its called cold crashing if you have a fridge even better, keep the lid on beer will be fine athumb..
Sound advice!

The best bit about winter is cold crashing without using energy and taking up fermentation fridge space!

I picked up a great tip for this from (I think) @Keruso ...

Get yourself a hop spider like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323984606140

That goes in your bottling bucket...

Your syphon tube goes in the spider...

It will filter out all the bits of hop and due to the large surface area and modest flow rate it won't get clogged.

Works a treat athumb..

Last edited:
I use net curtain material as large filters for grain and hops. A small, sterilised piece tied over a syphon tube works a treat as a dry hop filter.

Improvising is one of the joys of our “Hobby”?
I bought a new pair of shoes a while back and each shoe came in a fine mesh bag, they make terrific filters for dry hopping and secured at the end of the tube from your brew kettle it can result in a gunk free fermenter (if that’s what you want of course, some guys like to get the whole lot in there and if that floats your boat then why not).

Why not buy a set of these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wetrys-Sta...syphon+filters+for+beer&qid=1584794772&sr=8-1
I've attached one of mine to a length of copper tubing so that it is easily guided into the wort. It has never blocked although at times it has taken some time to transfer a brew after fermentation.

Enjoy!

Copper Syphon Tube.jpg

Back