Dry Irish Stout no boil no chill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
This is a simple easy to brew dry stout based on everyone's favourite Irish tipple. Smooth roastiness, creamy, dark chocolate, a hint of spice from the rye, dry finish. A very rounded crushable beer with attractive lacing This beer does not take long to condition. Because its not boiled there are no harsh flavours from the dark malts and mine are kegged and ready to drink at three weeks. You could package it a week earlier if your impatient. I serve mine with very low carbonation, just enough not to notice its flat and produce a head. I use a stout tap and short line.

25l batch
OG 1047
FG 1012
4.6% ABV
SRM 37
IBU 31
mash at 63c for 120m
mashout at 75c for 15m.
Ferment at 18c, raise to 20c near the end.

3.2kg German pilsner 73.1%
550g flaked barley 12.6%
400g roast barley 9.1%
100g chocolate rye 3%
130g cara bohemian (dark crystal) 2.3%

WLP004 Irish Ale yeast
28g Challenger 7.7AA pellets boiled for 30 minutes in 1.5l of water. Gives 31.38 IBU's. Add some yeast nutrient near the end of the boil. You should end up with about 750ml. Add a little more boiled water if necessary.

I leave the heat on for 14 days then turn off the blow off tube and let it drop to ambient temperature. I don't cold crash stouts and i generally pitch on top of the slurry from a previous batch.
I used pilsner because that all i have. You can sub it for pale malt, maris or any other quality base malt if you wish. Worth experimenting, the roast grains are really the star of this beer. If you don't like rye sub it for chocolate or even more roast barley.
After mashout transfer to a cube and pitch the wort, hop tea and yeast the next day. I start my fermentations of cold and let them slowly rise. I have used loads of different yeast including kveik and just find the Irish ale hits the right spot every time.

Back