Dry January

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a right mess...couldn’t drink when taking the meds as I’d be bombed out of my head and falling over. When I took the meds I could sleep all day...couldn’t take the meds when working as I work with machinery so had to put up with mind bending pain all shift...I get the odd day of saccrolitis,pain where my spine attaches to the pelvis,as things are still settling but on the whole I’m pain free. It’s changed my life in that respect...I could probably have teeth removed without anaesthetic!

I'm doing it this year as I always over indulge over Christmas

Did it 4 years ago and raised over £200 For cancer research UK

Did it 2 years ago which also lead on to me sorting my diet out and went on to lose 5 stone. Currently still around 5 stone down, wanting to lose at least another stone.

Clint, like yourself the tramadol makes me sleepy almost all day and night,am on tamulosin and aloproxen as well at present and just come off ciprofloxacin .Have been good,only had a couple of 25cl bottles.Off for MRI in morning so i hope something comes of that and can get sorted out and get off the meds!

Had a conversation with my missus about Dry January and we came to the conclusion that the main reason for folk doing it is - because they want to plaster it on social media (Facebook, Twitter etc) and feel morally superior about it, either that or they're closet alkies. I'll probably get flamed for these opinions but well it's what I reckon.

There will be people posting how they are getting on doing dry January while drinking as they are posting on fakebook. :beer6:

This is the last weekend of it, not had a drink since New Years save a sip out of a trial jar last weekend to make sure I didn't have to tip it all down the drain. I don't drink enough for there to be any physical issues but it's just so mind numbingly boring, even the wife said to me last night that I'm a lot more fun when I run in the door on a Friday throwing open the fridge door playing enney meeny miney mo with the selection in there and then putting on some loud music. How do people go through life without any sort of time off day to day life without a beer or a wine or whatever? Be it religious reasons, their own beliefs, addiction problems or medical problems it can't be easy never ever having a drink, getting half cut and sticking two fingers up to life even if it's only for an evening every once in a while. Roll on next Friday.

Last edited:
4 more days.
It’s been remarkably easy actually and I’ve surprised myself.
The plus side - I’ve brewed wine and beer like a demon and the bar looks incredibly well stocked.l especially with another brew going on this weekend.
Would I do it again !?
Absolutely not !!!
Totally agree with the above post that weekends are incredibly boring and debating life’s topics on a lime and water just doesn’t cut the mustard !
Roll on friday !
But at least I achieved it and showed the will power.

I’m having a dry weekend as my stocks have run out and I can’t be bothered to go to the supermarket on a Saturday. Just too many people. Will be kegging a brew later today so at least I’ll have something to drink next weekend.

4 more days.
It’s been remarkably easy actually and I’ve surprised myself.
The plus side - I’ve brewed wine and beer like a demon and the bar looks incredibly well stocked.l especially with another brew going on this weekend.
Would I do it again !?
Absolutely not !!!
Totally agree with the above post that weekends are incredibly boring and debating life’s topics on a lime and water just doesn’t cut the mustard !
Roll on friday !
But at least I achieved it and showed the will power.

If I never drink another soda bloody water and lime it'll too soon.

I fell off after 10 days, mainly as I had a couple of batches I'd bottled over the break that were ready to try and I could't resist. I've cut my intake in half though, and lost half a stone as a result.

Well I was days today and supposed to be days tomorrow so weekend down the pan. Informed this morning our machine is down tomorrow for maintenance. ...I booked a quick holiday and buggered of 2 hours early on rest hours.
Drinkywinkies tonight....
:birthday:

Fridge loaded up for Friday.
_20180131_220033.JPG

Latest posts

Back