Dry Voss Kveik from Lallemand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Heath

Regular.
Reaction score
It is time for a video that celebrates the launch of the first mass market kveik yeast in dried sachet form.
I have been working with Lallemand to bring you lots of internal information about their journey in testing and selection of this chosen strain.
This video also runs through the characteristics and usage of this new yeast plus provides some exciting news from Lallemand and the opportunity for you to help shape the next dried kveik release from the company.
As usual, thank you for all your kind support and enthusiasm for my channel.
Please keep your questions, feedback and requests coming but please give me some time to answer, I get a lot of messages and answer them in the order they were sent in, particularly those on Facebook messenger tend to stack up! If you are comfortable then please ask questions within Facebook groups, forums or Youtube, so that others can also either benefit or contribute.
Happy brewing!

Hope the yeast turned out good, their dry NEIPA yeast has never got much love although I do have 3 packs to try to make my own evaluation.

Lallemand are nice enough to give us 11g in a pack, am I wrong in thinking this would give an over pitch for Kveik? Would it be possible to use, perhaps, half a pack? Thanks

Lallemand are nice enough to give us 11g in a pack, am I wrong in thinking this would give an over pitch for Kveik? Would it be possible to use, perhaps, half a pack? Thanks
This is lallemands own formulation so 11g is suiting up to 22L of wort.

I'm going to brew a cascade SMaSH with this yeast, I'll be fermented in my airing cupboard at 25 to 27c, I'm doing a 23l batch will 1 packet be enough and do I just sprinkle it on the top of the wort. I don't have any yeast nutrient do I need some.

London.

I'm going to brew a cascade SMaSH with this yeast, I'll be fermented in my airing cupboard at 25 to 27c, I'm doing a 23l batch will 1 packet be enough and do I just sprinkle it on the top of the wort. I don't have any yeast nutrient do I need some.

London.
I have 2 batchs (10L each) going with this exact kveik at the moment, both were around 1.060, no nutrient, but apparently you should use nutrient if its lower than this, and just a very small sprinkle on the surface of the wort (i used a quarter of the packet for the 20L wort), I pitched @ 39C and have held them in the high 30's in a sleeping bag, its almost finished after 36hours.

Anyone got any feedback on this yeast? I've just ordered some so dunno what to expect. Pitching rates, temps, behaviour? Some is going in a wit with some citrus peel.and some in a neipa. Wit won't be above 1.050 and the neipa maybe around 1.063.

Good question: everything I read about using kveiks mention low pitching and high (>35º) temperatures. Unless high OG.

Any feedback on this yeast yet? I'm going to be using it for my brew tomorrow. My first time using Kveik. I'm planning to ferment at around 35 - 40 ºC for a quick turnaround. It's the housemates birthday next Sunday so I'm aiming for a 7 day grain-to-glass, by far the fastest I will have ever done!

Just a couple general Kveik questions - if I ferment at high (>35 ºC) am I going to loose a lot of hop aroma? And do α ‐acids continue to isomerise at these temps? I've heard theories that isomerisation continues to happen well below that standard 80 ºC that people use for a hop stand.

It is time for a video that celebrates the launch of the first mass market kveik yeast in dried sachet form.
I have been working with Lallemand to bring you lots of internal information about their journey in testing and selection of this chosen strain.
This video also runs through the characteristics and usage of this new yeast plus provides some exciting news from Lallemand and the opportunity for you to help shape the next dried kveik release from the company.
As usual, thank you for all your kind support and enthusiasm for my channel.
Please keep your questions, feedback and requests coming but please give me some time to answer, I get a lot of messages and answer them in the order they were sent in, particularly those on Facebook messenger tend to stack up! If you are comfortable then please ask questions within Facebook groups, forums or Youtube, so that others can also either benefit or contribute.
Happy brewing!

This is very exciting. I have recently been introduced to Sahti. Mika Laitinen’s Book, Viking age brew, has sparked a total fascination with the brewing of this beer style. He recommends kveik yeast in the brewing of sahti and I am very keen to try it. As it goes, I brewed my first batch of sahti this afternoon and pitched bakers yeast. Yes that’s correct, baker’s yeast, for those of you who’s jaw just hit the carpet. It’s the go to yeast for many sahti brewers. Check out this link if you want to know more- Farmhouse Ales I can’t wait to try some of the kveik Yeast. All the best.

Anyone got any feedback on this yeast? I've just ordered some so dunno what to expect. Pitching rates, temps, behaviour? Some is going in a wit with some citrus peel.and some in a neipa. Wit won't be above 1.050 and the neipa maybe around 1.063.
Check out Mika Laitinen’s website, brewing Nordic. There is some great info on various unusual beer styles and indeed he talks about Kveik yeast... following list describes my experiences with various Norwegian kveiks and Lithuanian farmhouse Yeast Farmhouse Yeast Descriptions

Any feedback on this yeast yet? I'm going to be using it for my brew tomorrow. My first time using Kveik. I'm planning to ferment at around 35 - 40 ºC for a quick turnaround. It's the housemates birthday next Sunday so I'm aiming for a 7 day grain-to-glass, by far the fastest I will have ever done!

Just a couple general Kveik questions - if I ferment at high (>35 ºC) am I going to loose a lot of hop aroma? And do α ‐acids continue to isomerise at these temps? I've heard theories that isomerisation continues to happen well below that standard 80 ºC that people use for a hop stand.

The beer has been kegged for a few days now and I tried the first sample last night.

I fermented at 37 ºC and it appears this warm temperature may have driven off a lot of the hop aroma. To counter this I have dry-hopped the keg. Next time I use this yeast, I wouldn't bother with large amounts of late addition hops or a hop stand, instead just dry-hop after fermentation.

The fermentation took off very quickly, within an hour or two of pitching. It took 4 days to reach the FG 1.012 from an OG of 1.051. This is a little bit longer than I had expected.

The yeast appears to flocculate well although no faster than other yeasts I have used in the past. The hydrometer sample I pulled off came out of the fermenter very cloudy, but dropped completely clear after 4-5 days with a compact layer of yeast left in the bottom of the sample tube. I tried to cold-crash the fermentor from 37 ºC to 12 ºC to aid flocculation, but this worked my brew fridge hard, especially since the ambient temperatures have been so warm recently! In hindsight it would have been better just to wait and let time and gravity do the work.

The beer tastes pretty good already (10 days grain-to-glass) but would definitely benefit from more time to mellow a bit. Also my attempt at force-carbonation wasn't that successful so the beer needs longer to carbonate properly anyway.

The dominant flavour/aroma from the yeast is definitely a pleasant orange/citrus. The sample from the fermenter tasted like orange juice! It's quite a bitter orange, I have heard a comparison to the flavour Grand Marnier liqueur before, and I definitely agree with that. It pairs really nicely with the citrus/fruity hops I used (Simcoe, Citra and Sabro). The data sheet from Lallemand describes the flavour/aroma as subtle. I disagree with that I think the flavour/aroma is very apparent, although not overwhelming.

I highly rate this yeast and will definitely be using it again. It was only my first experience using it and I need to experiment further. I'd like to try and achieve the full attenuation within 2 days. The 4 days that it took me isn't that much faster than US-04 I have used on pale ales with an OG of aorund 1.050. However, the clear benefits of this yeast are the very short lag phase (reducing the risk of infection), the flexibility with fermentation temperature (no real temperature control required), and the high rate of flocculation (nice clear beer without filtration).

Latest posts

Back