Dry Wine to Sweet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
Over the last few months my wife and I have been making Kit wines from Wilko, as this is the only place I can get at the moment. As the Virus making the demand out stripping supply from our usual supplier, the flavor has been OK except they are a bit sweet even when it reaches the proper reading to bottle it . What we would like to know is there a way to get rid of that extra sweetness to make it a dryer wine . When making the wine we follow the instructions to the letter and put 3.5 Kilo of sugar as it says would it be better to put less sugar in the mix or leave it in the bucket much longer? Just to add brought some cheap red wine yesterday (£10 for 3 bottles) and it didn't taste at all sweet and sugary.

You could let it ferment out completely as well as adding a bit less sugar.
HOWEVER if you are talking about RED kits what you are probably finding is a lack of grape tannin
rather than residual sugar per say.

You can add extra tannin,Young's sell it.
A lot of home brewers use super-strength tea.

I could be wrong,But a soft "flabby" taste is normally lack of tannin. Red kits are somewhat notorious in this regard.As adding a lot of tannin can extend the maturation times.Not what you want in a kit.

I have one Rose and a red Wine fermenting at the moment for about a Week How much Strong tea should I put in it I have a big wine Kit and a 6 bottle wine kit. Thanks PS how much less suger should I put in my red wine & Dry white and Rose wines then

Hmmmm How longs a piece of string,Still i will give it a go for you.

Rose kits are "normally" fine as are whites.
Sugar levels say 10% less should cure any unfermented issue for you.
Many folk on this forum tend to make a red kit short ie 20ltrs instead of 25ltrs

As regards strong black tea.About 4-5 tea-bags (fully stewed) in 1/2 pint of water
Grape tannin is better though as it is more neutral.

If all your kits are coming out to sweet you may have a temperature control issue

Alternatively you could replace the supplied yeast with EC-1118 for a "bone-dry ferment" .

Since you have a few on the go as we speak add the tannin (grape or tea) and let us know how you get on.

Personally i stick to white kits,
The results can be better than supermarket wines when done well.

Last edited:
I have one Rose and a red Wine fermenting at the moment for about a Week How much Strong tea should I put in it I have a big wine Kit and a 6 bottle wine kit. Thanks PS how much less suger should I put in my red wine & Dry white and Rose wines then
I find Wilko kits take a good 3 weeks and ignore your readings and let it ferment out

The wilko Chardonnay and Sauvignon blanc kits both took ages.

worth it though, they were pretty good

Over the last few months my wife and I have been making Kit wines from Wilko, as this is the only place I can get at the moment. As the Virus making the demand out stripping supply from our usual supplier, the flavor has been OK except they are a bit sweet even when it reaches the proper reading to bottle it . What we would like to know is there a way to get rid of that extra sweetness to make it a dryer wine . When making the wine we follow the instructions to the letter and put 3.5 Kilo of sugar as it says would it be better to put less sugar in the mix or leave it in the bucket much longer? Just to add brought some cheap red wine yesterday (£10 for 3 bottles) and it didn't taste at all sweet and sugary.
I've just done a batch from Wilko too. Cab sauv. It's a little on the sweet side too, quite jammy on the palate but a definite wine finish. . Not too unpleasant tho. No idea of the abv as can't get hydrometer into the Demi John and back out again! The Chardonnay turned out a bit drier. I'd be interested to know what more experienced members think too.

With kits that require added sugar a MODEST reduction in the quantity will normally give a bone dry wine.

Given that kits are however designed for rapid drinking a slight excess of sugar makes a newly fermented wine more palatable,(less rough)

In a White Wine Kit ( such as Magnum Pinot Grigio ) , how much would be a modest reduction in the 3.5 kgs of sugar required , to make this one much drier ?

Its not much,For 3.5kg start at 3kg

If you use a hydrometer (recommended.) Anything that finishes below 1.000 will be on the dry side.

Have tried as suggested (!) & added 3kgs to the Magnum Pinot Grigio Wine Kit & result ( as you said .. ) a very dry wine !) May try with a little more sugar next time . but your advice is sound !

Back