Dry Yeast for Amarillo Single Hop Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I am about to brew an Amarillo Single Hop Ale. The recipi recommends fermentis S33 dry yeast but I usually use fementis US05 for american ales. Would you recommend sticking to the recipe with S33? Or does it not matter either way

Last edited:
I would go for US-05. Will let the single hop of choice shine through. To be fair I've never used S-33. I generally stick to S-04 for British style and US-05 for American style beers. Apart from one time I tried Lallemand Windsor, but wasn't a fan.

I make a ‘house’ Amarillo IPA and use danstar west coast bry 97. It comes out really good. I will try it with 05 next time just to see the difference.

I too would use US05. I haven't used s-33 in a long time and actually thought Fermentis stopped making it. I really like S-33, it's a neutral ale yeast which chomps through sugars really fast. @MrRook never had it stall at 1.020 before but I used it on higher gravity beers (not sure if that makes a difference).

I too would use US05. I haven't used s-33 in a long time and actually thought Fermentis stopped making it. I really like S-33, it's a neutral ale yeast which chomps through sugars really fast. @MrRook never had it stall at 1.020 before but I used it on higher gravity beers (not sure if that makes a difference).
A 4.5% porter and a 5% stout.

A 4.5% porter and a 5% stout.
The weakest beer I made was 6% with this yeast. I remember reading it was for high gravity beers but can't find that anymore, I think fermentis have changed the write up.

Latest posts

Back