dry yeast for Amecican IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I am about to brew an all grain American IPA. For now, I use dry yeast. I usually go with Safale S-04 Beer Brewing Yeast, but would Safale US-05 Beer Brewing Yeast be better for the American IPA or some other dry yeast? I usually find the S-04 enhances the sweet malty character rather than the dry hoppy.

I'd go for US-05. Quite a few commercial breweries use this in their APAs. I tend to use this in my pales/IPAs etc.

I am about to brew an all grain American IPA. For now, I use dry yeast. I usually go with Safale S-04 Beer Brewing Yeast, but would Safale US-05 Beer Brewing Yeast be better for the American IPA or some other dry yeast? I usually find the S-04 enhances the sweet malty character rather than the dry hoppy.
S04 is more an English style, as the others have said US05 good choice, if your recipe is more west coast then you can try lallemand BRY-97 or Magrove Jacks M44 both a west coast aimed yeast.

Or Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell, it's a great yeast and a halfway house between American and British yeasts.

I use both, US 05 for hoppy American beers and SO4 for the English ales, for best results don't aerate the wort. I have recently got some sample yeast for testing from Angel Yeast and they also advise the same thing.

I use both, US 05 for hoppy American beers and SO4 for the English ales, for best results don't aerate the wort. I have recently got some sample yeast for testing from Angel Yeast and they also advise the same thing.

Interesting, what's the idea behind not aerating the wort?

Interesting, what's the idea behind not aerating the wort?
I read this on Pro Brewer some time ago, since then I have tried it on all dry yeasts with the same results, the most interesting part is you can harvest the yeast a few times before having to aerate.
https://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?53010-Dry-yeast-needs-aerating-wort
I have even filled the fermenter from the bottom up so there is no splashing and no oxygen in the wort and still with the same results.
013.JPG

Or Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell, it's a great yeast and a halfway house between American and British yeasts.
Ive got a 95 % Vienna malt pale ale with Mandarine hops fermenting at the moment with this yeast for the first time and im looking forward to trying it!

Another vote for US 05 - go-to yeast for my over-warm house. This is the West Coast US strain referred to sometimes as the "Chico" strain.

I've use loads from Cross my Loof..cheap as chips,works. But..not as flocculant as some may like but I find it fine.
I like Crossmyloof yeast but found the same thing, SO4 definitely for ale, drops out and sticks to the bottom of the fermenter like the proverbial stuff to a blanket.

Covrich..in what way don't you like the CML yeasts?
My latest drinker is kegged in a pb with the US pale...it is absolutely crystal.
I wonder due to CML being a pilot brewer if they keg or filter all they make? I wonder if they use their own yeast?

Covrich..in what way don't you like the CML yeasts?
My latest drinker is kegged in a pb with the US pale...it is absolutely crystal.
I wonder due to CML being a pilot brewer if they keg or filter all they make? I wonder if they use their own yeast?
#
I used it about 7 or 8 times the US I just do not think it is anywhere near the clean finished quality of US05 for example.. Nothing to do with clarity which I have always thought was okay, I think its just about ok but a far poorer imitation. I have made some really nice ones with west coast or US05 and done the same with the CML and whilst I know they were seperate ferments the CML have all been noticeably worse.. I also tried the English real ale yeast and it has only been the only yeast I have ever used which stopped after 24 hours at 1020.. only yeast I ever had to stick, I dunno I have only used that one once but as for the US I just think they are cheap versions and yeast is not something I would skip a few quid on but that is just me.

I use cml yeast I have never had a problem with it. I have only used the us ale yeast. Just bought some Belgian yeast to give it a go

Latest posts

Back