Dumping Lager Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMP Brewery

Just realised I can put something here :)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So normally with ale yeast I would dump some out of the fermentor (conical) every few days, I understand that lager yeast is bottom fermenting so do I still dump some of the old yeast or leave it in the fermenter?

I do not use a conical just a ordinary fermenter but in normal ferments it is left till fermentation has finished so I would leave it until it has finished or at least wait until other conical users answer

With a lager you don't need to be as attentive with dumping because the lower fermentation temperatures reduce the chance of getting off flavours from it. I usually ferment for 2 weeks, up the temp for a few days then crash for a few days all on the yeast then transfer to a keg to condition afterwards. If you have a conical fermenter with a valve at the bottom you could drop the yeast cake and cold condition in the fermenter but I don't have space to keep my fermentation fridge in use like that for the 6-8 weeks you would need.

So normally with ale yeast I would dump some out of the fermentor (conical) every few days, I understand that lager yeast is bottom fermenting so do I still dump some of the old yeast or leave it in the fermenter?
Bottom fermenting is a misnomer. While lager yeast tends to migrate to the bottom after fermentation the actual fermenting happens in the body of the wort.

Back