Dunkelweizen recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning my next few brews and one of them is going to be a Dunkelweizen Extract brew .
The recipe i am going to copy is a all grain so what i would like to know is ,how much wheat spray malt to replace 2.75kg of wheat malt (i was thinking about 1.8kg ?)and how much and what to replace 1.8kg of Munich malt (i was thinking 1.3kg of dark spray malt ? cheers all :)

This is Jamil's dunkelweizen extract recipe which might give you some ideas:

V1VdiaK.jpg

nFqYV2R.jpg

Having never tried extract brewing I'm not the best authority on this, however, Greg Hughes book seems to use extract at 60% weight of grain. I did a quick scan of a few recipes and seems to hold true throughout the book. GH Dunkelweizen has 2.7kg wheat malt, for which your 1.8kg seems about right. Munich is at 2.3kg, which is more like 1.38kg of extract. It all depends on the colour you'd expect to get from the spray malt.
In addition there's 300g of caramunich III and 300g of special B.

Thanks for the replies ,I think what i will do is, get 2kg of wheat malt, use some for a liquid yeast starter, and put the rest in ,and get 1.5kg of extract and put all that in to make things simple ,as for grains the recipe uses 450g of caraMunich 60L, so do we think that this should do the job ?

Wheat malt extract is usually 50:50 Barley and Wheat, so if you want a Dunkelweissen, just go 100% wheat malt extract for the base and add the steepings from about 600g of darkish crystal malts (any combination, within reason).

I made a Dunkelweissen recently and it is surprisingly good- a wheatier sort of a Black Sheep Riggwelter type of a beer.

Perhaps @strange-steve might help me out here in reducing the font size in a post above. I feel I should be able to do this myself, but the hour and the circumstances are not in my favour. :hat:

Perhaps @strange-steve might help me out here in reducing the font size in a post above. I feel I should be able to do this myself, but the hour and the circumstances are not in my favour. :hat:
I didn't realise until recently that the photos I upload are huge, because I almost always use my phone for viewing the forum and they appear quite normal. I have no idea why or what to do about it!

Strangely enough, neither do I. Maybe there is a techy who can advise?

LOL

Latest posts

Back