Dunkelweizen + temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dulwich North

Reaction score
I'm wondering how to make best use of my small stock of hops and also thinking ahead to the colder months. I've noted some of my parameters/limitations in the signature below.

Apart from liking Dunkelweizen in any case, I think that some (frozen) Saaz leaves left over from a 10L Tripel brew could substitute for the Tettnang in the Greg Hughes Dunkelweizen recipe. I'd brew late next month and would condition it in a consistently-cooler part of the house, hoping for London's 12C average November temperature which matches the recipe. Fermentation at 22C means taking pot luck (unless the weather goes mad...) and perhaps letting it ferment for longer in a couple of consistently-warmer spots.

Does this all sound sensible? I don't have a fermentation fridge, though might consider a heat pad, but would a few degrees either way make little difference?

I'm wondering how to make best use of my small stock of hops and also thinking ahead to the colder months. I've noted some of my parameters/limitations in the signature below.

Apart from liking Dunkelweizen in any case, I think that some (frozen) Saaz leaves left over from a 10L Tripel brew could substitute for the Tettnang in the Greg Hughes Dunkelweizen recipe. I'd brew late next month and would condition it in a consistently-cooler part of the house, hoping for London's 12C average November temperature which matches the recipe. Fermentation at 22C means taking pot luck (unless the weather goes mad...) and perhaps letting it ferment for longer in a couple of consistently-warmer spots.

Does this all sound sensible? I don't have a fermentation fridge, though might consider a heat pad, but would a few degrees either way make little difference?
The conditioning temperature really isn't that important as long as it's relatively cool. The fermentation temperature is most important with weizen yeast, and at 22c you my end up with something very banana-ish, though that may be what you prefer...

Back