Dutto's Brew Day

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by Dutto, Dec 23, 2016.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 7, 2019 #321

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

It looked like this ...

IMG_0991.jpg

So the colour's good so here's hoping that the "Grapefruit" comes through!

BTW @Clint it's not really "experimentation" this time - just "substitution" ...

... however, we leave for France in eight weeks, I have 3.5kg of OOD grain (not counting some Chocolate Malt from 2017!), 1.5kg of Brewing Sugar, 1kg of Light DME and a few bits and bobs that need using up.

I've knocked up a recipe in BrewersFriend that ticks every indicator for an "English Brown Ale - Mild" so I don't class it as an "experiment". It will still be winter when we leave so maybe just this twice, 'cos I have enough to do two brews; one to take with me and one left to await my return in April.

Here's a photograph of the Rowan Berry experiment. I drank a bottle of it yesterday and it's "drinkable" and I've survived the experience; but I will have to run out of hops before I try it again!

Berry Beer.jpg

2. Jan 12, 2019 #322

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Yesterday and today I brewed up to "Partial Mash Milds" one of which had Chocolate Malt in the Recipe but both of which came in at an OG of 1.034.

Here is the basic recipe for "Partial Mash Mild"

INGREDIENTS
    0.5kg Maris Otter. - 0.3kg Crystal Malt (EBC 25) –1.0kg Crystal Malt (EBC 250)Grain Bill = 1.80kg
    0.5kg DME (Light) – 0.75kg Brewing Sugar
    40g EKG Pellets (AA 6%) - 10g Chinook (AA 8.1%)
    Gervin-12 Yeast – 1 x Protafloc Tablet - Yeast Nutrient

DAY ONE
    Mash
    Strike Wate
    r = 3.0 litres per 1kg of grain = 6.0 litres at 75*C.
    Mash at 63*C > 61*C for SIXTY MINUTES.
    Sparge Water at 80*C (Ambient 8*C.)
    Lauter until clear then sparge until Boiler is at 12 litres.
    Cover Boiler and leave overnight.

DAY TWO
    Preparation

Prepare Hops comprising:
    • 1 x 20g EKG Pellets.
    • 1 x 20g EKG Pellets.
    • 1 x 10g Chinook Pellets
    Put out 1 Protafloc Tablets.
    Rehydrate Yeast.
    Put out Yeast Nutrient.
    Boil for 60 minutes using Hop Spider with:
    • 20g EKG for 50 minutes.
    • 20g EKG for 5 minutes.
    Remove Hop Spider & Clean.
    Add 1 x Protafloc tablets and boil for further 10 minutes.
    Flameout.
    Cool to 80*C.
    Add Hop Spider with 10g Chinook Pellets Aroma Hops and steep for 30 minutes.
    Remove Hop Spider.
    Cool to 35*C, whirlpool, run off into FV, add DME and Brewing Sugar and make up to 23 litres.
    Take OG, add Yeast Nutrient and rehydrated Yeast.
    Ferment at 20*C on Heat Pad using FV with Insulation Jacket.

For the "Partial Mash - Mild with Chocolate":
    • Exchange 100g of Chocolate Malt for 100g of Crytstal Malt (EBC 25).
    • Exchange the Chinook Hop Pellets for Cascade Hop Pellets.
    It is now fermenting at 20*C in Fridge 1.

Both OG's were the same at 1.034 (to give an ABV of +/-3.5% after carbonation).

I'm afraid that (yet again) I have broken a "New Year Resolution" by doing two brews in two days. I excuse myself on the basis that because it was a partial mash the time it took to bring the wort to the boil was very much less than normal and with an ambient temperature of 8*C cooling the wort was not a problem.

Having said that, tonight my hips feel as if someone is trying to unscrew them!

Plan "A" is that the ordinary Mild will go in the King-Keg and be taken to France and the "with Chocolate" version will be allowed to mature in the garage whilst I am away.

After taking FG, both of them will be treated to a Hop Tea made from 10g of Chinook Pellets and 10g of Cascade Pellets respectively and batch primed as required.

Off to bed - totally knackered but happy that tomorrow should now see 69 litres happily fermenting in the garage!

Ajhutch likes this.
  3. Jan 12, 2019 #323

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Having your hips unscrewed....I know that feeling well! At least on one side!

Dutto likes this.
  4. Jan 12, 2019 #324

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

When you eventually succumb to the inevitable and start kegging with cornies you can also downsize your brew length to the keg capacity of 19 litres. The FVs get easier to carry so there you have it: kegging is good for your health, a great excuse to justify the expenditure to Mrs Dutto :D

Dutto likes this.