Dutto's Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be being thick but I thought mash temp didn't significantly impact the OG of the beer? I thought roughly the same amount of sugars would be extracted but the convertibility would be less with a higher temp so you'd end up with a higher FG rather than OG?

Me too! But there is no arguing with the hydrometer and the only difference between the two brews was the Mash and Sparge temperatures.

The Maris Otter came out of the same bag, was weighed to within a couple of grams, milled with the same mill, mashed and sparged the same way, boiled and hopped the same way so I too am unable to explain the difference.

I even used the same hydrometer so I'm now waiting to see if the two brews ferment down to the same FG. If that happens then it's a real head-scratcher! :doh:

PS

I also don't want a high ABV brew!!

Today I made Vienna Lager Batch One to this recipe ...

NGREDIENTS
3.20kg Maris Otter
1.50kg Ready Mix Pale Malt
0.15kg Ready Mix Caramalt
0.15kg Ready Mix Crystal Malt
50g Hallertau Pellets
Youngs Lager Yeast
Protafloc Tablet
Yeast Nutrient

(The "ready mix" is because I am currently moving over to self milled grain.)

The OG was 1.048 which is just within the style requirements of Vienna Lager.

I'm looking forward to comparing it with Lager Batch Two!

Lager One.jpg

I transferred the SMASH with Cascade to the Wilko Keg today. I came in at a FG of 1.009 which gives it an ABV of 5.91%; a bit on the high side for me but the Good News is that it tastes superb.

I then moved on to brew another SMASH and discovered that I didn't have enough grain (I plan to do a Vienna Lager next week and I need the grain for that) so I used the spare grain that I had (1.60Kg of Maris Otter and 0.20Kg of Chocolate) in place of sugar in a one-can Coopers Stout Kit.

I used 15g of Perle Hop Leaf for the 60 minute boil and having tasted the sample I used to get the OG of 1.047 my immediate thought was "That should keep well on the shelf." (See Today's Screw-Ups!) :whistle:

Not to worry. At a potential ABV of +/-5% I'm sure that it will evaporate like the rest! :thumb:

The best bet would be to NOT wear open-toed Crocs when brewing! :doh::doh:

Especially as before retirement I earned my living as a Health and Safety Manager/Consultant! :oops: :oops:

"Do as I say and not as I do!" is still a lovely phrase though! :whistle: :whistle:
Hi Dutto, it strikes me that you were HSE with common sense. My HSE officer put in an order yesterday for rubber hammers after a safety flash about a wooden hammer shaft breaking while being used at height. And yes, he was deadly serious.
Brian

Hi m8,
Nice one pal, I fancy the Vienna lager

but been looking at loads of brewdays on YouTube and how many people wear either nowt on there feet or open sandles!!!
For me it's temping fate!
Lata pal
Bri

Today I made Vienna Lager Batch One to this recipe ...

NGREDIENTS
3.20kg Maris Otter
1.50kg Ready Mix Pale Malt
0.15kg Ready Mix Caramalt
0.15kg Ready Mix Crystal Malt
50g Hallertau Pellets
Youngs Lager Yeast
Protafloc Tablet
Yeast Nutrient

(The "ready mix" is because I am currently moving over to self milled grain.)

The OG was 1.048 which is just within the style requirements of Vienna Lager.

I'm looking forward to comparing it with Lager Batch Two!

I made Batch Two today and I am still amazed at how good I am! :whistle: :whistle:

The OG is within 0.002 of Batch One! :thumb: :thumb:

Also, I transferred Batch One to MKs and it is now carbonating in the fridge prior to being cold crashed at 1 degree for five or six days and then left to condition.

After ten day, the plan is to transfer about Batch Two to a 2nd FV and then lager it at 10 degrees in the fridge for 10 weeks to see if there is any noticeable difference.

It's been a long day and a few beers have passed the thrapple so an early night methinks! :whistle: :whistle:

Lager Two.jpg

I bottled the Coopers Stout with AG today. Fermented down from OG 1.047 to FG 1.011 to give an ABV 4.73% and at the moment it tastes very like a Mild but with a stronger flavour.

Primed with 75g of sugar for 21 litres (don't like it too gassy) and left on the shelf to carbonate over the next three months. (The fridge is occupied, Cold Crashing Lager Number One at 1 degree for six days.)

I am looking forward to seeing how it develops and hope to save it for those cold dark nights of Autumn when they put the clocks back. :thumb:

Coopers Stout with AG.jpg

I bottled the Coopers Stout with AG today. Fermented down from OG 1.047 to FG 1.011 to give an ABV 4.73% and at the moment it tastes very like a Mild but with a stronger flavour.

Primed with 75g of sugar for 21 litres (don't like it too gassy) and left on the shelf to carbonate over the next three months. (The fridge is occupied, Cold Crashing Lager Number One at 1 degree for six days.)

I am looking forward to seeing how it develops and hope to save it for those cold dark nights of Autumn when they put the clocks back. :thumb:
Here's a stout recipe I brewed recently my first attempt and my own recipe if you're interested.

Recipe as titled.
Grain bill
4.2lb Minch Pale Malt*
2.2 Minch Wheat Malt*
2.2lb flaked barley
1lb roasted barley*

Hops schedule
27g bullion hops preboil
10g Amarillo hops @30 mins
10g Amarillo hops @10 mins
10g Amarillo hops @5 mins
20g Amarillo hops @0 mins

Yeast
Fermentis S04

Must say it's worth a try as it's tasty👍😋

Sent from my ALE-L21

After 10 weeks in the fridge lagering at 10 degrees, I transferred the Vienna Lager Batch Two to 4 x MKs and 3 x 650ml flip-tops today.

The FG was at 1.009 which gives an ABV of 5.38% which is "identical" to Batch One. (i.e. well within the accuracy of my hydrometer skills.) :whistle:

The only distinctive feature in the FV was that the very small amount of trub was a "milk chocolate brown" colour instead of the normal "cream" colour I'm used to. The good news is that it didn't smell "off" and tasted just fine ...

... so now all I have to do is to wait another 6 weeks and then compare the brew with Batch One. :thumb: :thumb:

Back