e-bike and e-scooters.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Posting this here as i don't want to hijack the cycle thread.

Why is it legal to ride an e-bike in the U.K as long as it does not exceed 25kph (15.5mph) or have a motor which generates more than 250 Watts of power but it isn't OK to ride an e-scooter on public roads, pavements, in cycle lanes and in pedestrian-only areas?

The government wants us to go green yet they ban the use of electric scooters, crazy.

When is an e-bike not an e-bike?
E-bikes are classed as regular non-assisted bicycles in Great Britain but if they supply electrical assistance when travelling at more than 25kph (15.5mph), have a motor which generates more than 250 Watts of power or motor assistance can be provided without the bike's pedals being in motion, they will be legally treated as a moped or motorcycle. These powered two-wheelers are subject to a different regulatory framework.

In Hackney they come at you from all angles, pavement, road and cycle lane! weaving in and out of people on the pedestrian area's, Generally I am for these scooters, just need to be in the hands of a normal person. :laugh8:

In Hackney they come at you from all angles, pavement, road and cycle lane! weaving in and out of people on the pedestrian area's, Generally I am for these scooters, just need to be in the hands of a normal person. :laugh8:
Yes, that's the issue with them, there is a high risk of collision with pedestrians if not everybody is sensible with them.

I don't know what speed these scooters travel at but they like cycles should be on the road unless its a shared pavement for both cycles and pedestrians.

Having been pitched off my bike due to the appalling surfaces on our roads, I can only dread to think of the carnage doing 15-20mph on an e scooter will bring with them tiny little wheels and poor stability

I thought they were looking at e scooters and their use. From what I have seen e-mtb are used correctly and alongside non-ebikes. E-road bilss are used on the road. Whilst e-scooter are used on all terrains. From experience often by kids on pavements and park footpaths and are a danger to pedestrian.

I thought they were looking at e scooters and their use. From what I have seen e-mtb are used correctly and alongside non-ebikes. E-road bilss are used on the road. Whilst e-scooter are used on all terrains. From experience often by kids on pavements and park footpaths and are a danger to pedestrian.
This is how I see it too. i don’t think e scooters are being used as a eco friendly form of transport by adults but as a non eco friendly form of recreation by teenagers.

Munich has a few operators hiring them. Just scan the scooter’s ID with your phone and use it. Leave it anywhere when you’re done. Automatic billing and pretty inexpensive. Generally people ride with care in my experience but most of the city has dedicated cycle lanes to use. And pedestrians generally keep clear of them.

https://www.tier.app/how-tier-works/

This is how I see it too. i don’t think e scooters are being used as a eco friendly form of transport by adults but as a non eco friendly form of recreation by teenagers.

They may be now but as I said above they are suggesting 18+ licence holders on roads only.

I see no mention of insurance in the video when she talked about legalities.

As far as I know you don't need insurance for an ebike so why would you need it for an eScooter?
Maybe making insurance a necessity would stop a lot of the idiots buying them.

As far as I know you don't need insurance for an ebike so why would you need it for an eScooter?
Maybe making insurance a necessity would stop a lot of the idiots buying them.
Maybe. Something needs to change. Get the scooters off the pavements is a good start. They could be in the bike lanes etc...

In this day and age, nothing is obvious. I maintain that every vehicle on the road or otherwise should be required to be insured. As a side note. Last weekend I saw an old lady waiting at the crossing in her electric wheelchair, I don’t know what happened, but she somehow lost control and I think whilst trying to avoid hitting a person, she hit a car waiting at the crossing. No damage, but the lady was clearly traumatised. Really sad to see. I’m not sure about the licensing/training requirements, but I do think that people should have to have some sort of mandatory training
For their sake, as well as others.

Latest posts

Back