E10 fuel.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't we just have a thread on this topic recently?

It was discussed in an electric car thread this is a specific question for members.

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking of moving to Shell V-Power not so much for the power boost though that would be nice (its the best for that according to the video) but because it also cleans the engine, my car is 13 years old and i don't trust the government when they say all but one Vauxhall can run in E10 with no problem.

Ok so being a bit of a petrol head nerd. I've been filling up our Suzuki's with a 1.4 boosterjet engine with 99ron. The ECU will adjust for the fuel and we get around 10bhp increase. It's not all about POWER. He says in a JC voice. You don't need as much throttle if the engine gives more power. So you could get increased mpg. However as it's a premium fuel you don't make back the savings in mpg from increased price. It will however be E5 whereas 95ron will be E10. Whilst my daughter's Suzuki can take E5 or E10 like ours I'm not sure if she'll get a performance benefit from her 1.2 engine. However given E10 is more corrosive to fuel systems hence cars need to be designed to use it why would I take the risk of a premature fuel system failure? If I had a car on a 3 yr lease I'd put in the cheapest fuel because long term it ls not my problem. That sounds bad but as long as I stay in spec it's within the lease agreement. Buyer beware. Anyone who picked up one of my previous fully owned cars will have had a car that was superbly looked after.ex lease cars, well you take your chances.

However given E10 is more corrosive to fuel systems hence cars need to be designed to use it why would I take the risk of a premature fuel system failure?

In the video in my OP he says E10 is corrosive and goes on to say it can attack parts not originally fitted to the car even if your car is OK to run on it, if you haven't owned the car from new you do not know if the car has had original replacement parts or cheapo ones fitted, i haven't had my car long and have no idea about its history the extra £4 it will cost me when i fill the tank (once a month as i don't do may miles) is nothing compared to the amount it may cost if this stuff damages it.

I never thought of that so maybe a full dealer service history where they have to use manufacturers parts is a good way to reduce the risk.

I never thought of that so maybe a full dealer service history where they have to use manufacturers parts is a good way to reduce the risk.

It will reduce it but you have no way of knowing if the car has been to a non franchise garage for emergency work and what parts have been used, i am not risking it on an 13 year old car V-Power will clean the engine and give it a bit of a boost so i will bite the bullet and pay the extra.

I have been looking on the Shell site it makes the extra cost a little less hard to take -

123.jpg

This is from the BBC site, my car is older so even though the Government checker says it can use it i do not trust it, the more i read about this stuff the more convinced i am it will damage older cars.

How will E10 affect my car?
Every petrol vehicle built after 2011 should accept E10.
But it won't be compatible with some older vehicles - as many as 600,000 of those currently on UK roads, the RAC estimates.
And if a car is not compatible with the new fuel, it could damage the engine.

E10 petrol: What is it and can my car run it? - BBC News

How can I be sure I'm OK to use E10?
The government has set up a website where drivers can check whether their car will run on E10 fuel.
But it warns it will not be liable for any damage to vehicles as a result of drivers using its checker - especially if their car has been fitted with replacement parts.

I'm still running my Honda Civic, which in the UK, was X reg- so 2000. It runs fine on E10 and has been doing so for a number of years. As I mentioned on a previous thread, my recently bought (3 years) sit-on mower is a little too dainty and needs the higher octane, lower ethanol E5. Apart from that, it's a pile-of-shlte agricultural vehicle made in Italy.

I'm still running my Honda Civic, which in the UK, was X reg- so 2000.

Its not the running on it that is the issue its what damage it can do as discussed in the first video that is the issue.

I imagine most who own cars older than 2011 will use it due to the price of alternative and they may not have problems but i have decided not to and will use V-Power.

Its not the running on it that is the issue its what damage it can do as discussed in the first video that is the issue.

I imagine most who own cars older than 2011 will use it due to the price of alternative and they may not have problems but i have decided not to and will use V-Power.
On the contrary. Advice here is that most cars made after 2000 will be fine on the stuff. In any case, I expect the rest of my car to fall to bits long before a Honda engine gives up the ghost. I've already had to change the rear wipers! asad1

Well here the advice is different so lets hope for your sake your lot got it right or you may be changing more than the wipers before long, its not just the engine it ***** up did you watch the first video?

RAC Site U.K -
Can E10 be used in all cars?
In short, no. As many as 600,000 vehicles on our roads in 2020 aren't compatible with E10 - you can see if your car is compatible with the new fuel by visiting the official E10 online checker.
Drivers are advised to contact car manufacturers with any questions surrounding their specific vehicle. For example, Vauxhall says “E10 fuel can be used in all petrol-engine Vauxhall vehicles except models with the 2.2-litre direct-injection petrol engine (code Z22YH) used in Vectra, Signum and Zafira.”
As a rule, drivers of cars registered prior to 2002 are advised not to use E10 in their vehicle, as problems have been reported. And as of 2011, all new cars sold in the UK must be E10 compatible.
The RAC understands that if you put E10 fuel in an incompatible car it will still run, but seals, plastics and metals may be damaged over longer periods as a result of bioethanol's corrosive properties.

There have also been reports that E10 is a less stable fuel and that this can make it more difficult to start a vehicle that has not been driven for an extended period.

It will reduce it but you have no way of knowing if the car has been to a non franchise garage for emergency work and what parts have been used, i am not risking it on an 13 year old car V-Power will clean the engine and give it a bit of a boost so i will bite the bullet and pay the extra.
Agreed with it being a Suzuki though the chance of emergency repairs elsewhere is minimal. If you had an insurance claim against the car that's a totally different matter. We were daihatsu fanboys and the dealer said since swapping from Skoda he had to lay a mechanic off because daihatsu s don't need warranty work doing.

E10 is in our garage today still on my first tank of Shell E5 V-Power and i will be running it on that from now on.

Check your car here but remember the warning Below.

Check if your vehicle can run on E10 petrol - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The information is subject to change and we cannot guarantee its accuracy. If your vehicle is fitted with replacement parts this will also affect its accuracy.

DfT and its partners will not be liable for any damage to your vehicle as a result of you using this service.

Warning - It's your responsibility to make sure you use the right fuel for your vehicle.

Passenger cars, classic cars and motorcycles will all need further protection as the ethanol content in fuel rises. Below our technical advisor explains how this will affect our vehicles and what you can do to combat this.

What is E10 fuel?

E10 unleaded petrol could be in the fuel pumps from 2021, in short the amount of ethanol in our current fuel will double from 5% to 10%. The 90% part is regular unleaded petrol and the ethanol part of the fuel is a government drive to increase the biofuel produced in terms of renewable energy from crops to reduce or at any rate try to reduce emissions.

What it does

Ethanol increases the octane rating of petrol, this is key for resisting detonation so that the fuel has a control burn rather than an explosion or pinking*. So in effect the role of ethanol is beneficial to the efficient running and power delivery of a petrol engine.

Why is it bad?

Ethanol itself is very corrosive and ethanol with moisture (that it holds) is also very corrosive to steel fuel tanks, glass fibre and certain rubber hoses and fittings. Ethanol has a lower calorific energy content that petrol, this can impact on the fuel economy of a vehicle with the consumption increasing.

How can we combat its effects?

Millers Oils has developed fuel treatments to deal with the proposed E10 fuel. VSPe Power Plus tackles classic vehicles right to the birth of the automobile whilst EPS is for the more modern cars and motorcycles. It works by inhibiting this corrosive behaviour by joining with any free bonds on the ethanol. This effectively stops the corrosion from even starting. The fuel treatments will not affect the beneficial part of ethanol i.e. make combustion more efficient.

*Pinking – also known as ‘pre-ignition’ is caused when the temperature and compression combination within the cylinder gets high enough to cause ignition of the fuel/air mixture without the use of a spark plug.

'All Yamahas from1990 onwards are ok with E10'... so my 1988 FJ is stuck with the more expensive 'old' stuff. All these climate nuts have a lot to answer for. When the 'climate crisis' is fixed, there'd better be an official announcement saying so. Don't want to feel I've been ripped an' all that.

Interestingly, it appears that though my car will be fine, my lawnmower will not. E10 is not recommended for lawnmowers because it is usually stored for a number of months during the winter. This means that I’ll have to fill up my little container with about £1.50 worth of unleaded, which will go down a storm at the kiosk.

Back