E10 petrol.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When they release the list of cars that can run on it i hope mine isn't on it the fact it can harm the engine is a worry they cannot have tested it ion every engine so i guess this is basically guesswork.

If E10 fuel is put in an incompatible car, it will still run, according to the RAC,
But in the long run, it could cause damage to rubber seals, plastics and metals.

Every petrol vehicle built after 2011 should accept E10.

But it warns it will not be liable for any damage to vehicles as a result of drivers using its checker -

A more eco-friendly petrol is due to be introduced to filling stations in the UK later this year.
The government intends to make E10 the new standard petrol grade.
The change will come in over the summer, the Department for Transport (DfT) says - but not all cars will be able to run on it.

What is E10 petrol?
It's a motor fuel that contains less carbon and more ethanol than fuels currently on sale.
Ethanol is a kind of alcohol manufactured from plants, including sugar beet and wheat.
It is possible to run cars on pure ethanol, as has been done in Brazil for many years.
But in the UK and other European countries, it is normally blended with fuel derived from oil.
Current petrol grades in the UK - known as E5 - contain up to 5% ethanol, with the other 95% being regular unleaded petrol.
Their replacement, E10, will see this percentage increased to 10% - a proportion that would bring the UK in line with countries such as Belgium, Finland, France and Germany.

What's the point of it?
E10 will help reduce the overall quantity of fossil fuels needed to power the UK's cars.
It comes as the government announced a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030, as part of its climate-change targets.
Introducing E10 could cut carbon emissions by 750,000 tonnes a year, the DfT says, the equivalent of taking 350,000 cars off the road.

How will E10 affect my car?
But it won't be compatible with some older vehicles - as many as 600,000 of those currently on UK roads, the RAC estimates.
And if a car is not compatible with the new fuel, it could damage the engine.

How can I be sure I'm OK to use E10?
The government has set up a website where drivers can check whether their car will run on E10 fuel.
But it warns it will not be liable for any damage to vehicles as a result of drivers using its checker - especially if their car has been fitted with replacement parts.

The website features a drop-down menu listing all manufacturers whose cars are sold in the UK, with details of all the models not approved to take the new fuel.
"If you're still not sure, use E5 petrol. It will still be available in the super grade at many filling stations," the government says.

Can I mix E5 and E10?
That shouldn't be a problem.
In fact, the RAC recommends drivers with an older car who fill up with E10 by mistake top up with E5 as soon as possible after they have used a third of the tank.

Are there any other drawbacks?
If E10 fuel is put in an incompatible car, it will still run, according to the RAC,
But in the long run, it could cause damage to rubber seals, plastics and metals.
There have also been reports E10 is a less stable fuel, the RAC says.
And this could make it more difficult to start a car that has not been driven for quite a while.
Other motor industry analysts say E10 might be a less efficient fuel than E5, meaning cars would burn more of it to achieve the same effect and running costs rise as drivers fill up more often.

How green is this really?
That's a matter of some debate.
Ethanol is seen as a carbon-neutral fuel, since the plants absorb carbon dioxide from the air while they are growing, offsetting the CO2 emitted when the fuel is burnt.
However, no-one is quite sure whether the two really cancel each other out.
And some people have moral objections to using food crops to produce fuels.
They say it could cause food shortages or increases in food prices.
Still, if ethanol is genuinely good for the planet, then perhaps there ought to be even more of it in petrol, some environmental campaigners say.
After all, Brazil, which pioneered its use in the 1970s, has so-called "flex-fuel" vehicles on its roads that run on any mixture of petroleum and ethanol, right up to the all-ethanol E100.

E10 petrol: What is it and can my car run it? - BBC News

Last edited:
My old Honda Civic, X reg. Registered 2000 AD is still going strong and has run nicely on E10 for some years now. My sit-on lawn mower, 3 years old, won't run on it though and I have to pay a bit more for E5.
The advice, here, is that cars from 2000 on will run fine on E10. We also have E80 at the petrol stations, but I don't think I'm going to risk that one.

The advice, here, is that cars from 2000 on will run fine on E10.

Our advice is below and they are not going to take any responsibility if it wrecks your engine.

How will E10 affect my car?

But it won't be compatible with some older vehicles - as many as 600,000 of those currently on UK roads, the RAC estimates.
And if a car is not compatible with the new fuel, it could damage the engine.

Human numbers basically depend on modern agricultural methods.
"Modern agriculture might be described as the use of land to turn petroleum into food".
To me, taking that food and turning it back into road fuel is an utter disaster. The second law of thermodynamics is very unkind to stupid ideas like this, which is Virtue Signalling taken way beyond ordinary stupidity.

Just going to find the excellent lecture the above quote is from.
Whoops, got distracted on U-Tube by a different line of thinking, and may be now slightly too inebriated to post further.

Last edited:
And next year I will be repurposing my homebrew kit to turn cooking oil into diesel as they will stop selling that too.

Those of us with houses that are all electric have also clocked that economy 7 has gone from1/3 price of peak electric price to 2/3 over the last 10 years or so. I expect price difference to evaporate one everyone starts charging their cars overnight

Looking forward to a "mad Max" future of fuel crisis.

I put 99ron into my cars as they give more POWWWWWWER. (use jeremy clarkson voice) hopefully 99ron will remain E5 even though our cars are ok with E10 I'd rather let someone else confirm that over the longer term as I'm hoping our 1 & 3 yr old cars will see us good for 10 years.

I'd rather let someone else confirm that over the longer term as I'm hoping our 1 & 3 yr old cars will see us good for 10 years.

Same here, my worry is modern cars (a couple of years old) may be able to run on it but older ones nearer the 10 year cut off they announced will be damaged but they are not going to tell us that.

I will carry on using E5 on the basis E10 gives less mpg E5 will cost more swings and roundabouts and i won't damage my engine athumb..

Will we have that choice, modern cars now use AdBlue to reduce emissions and its is an offence to let the tank run dry, will they make it an offence to knowingly not use E10 in a car manufactured after 2011?

Edit to add -
If I run out of AdBlue™, am I driving illegally?

AdBlue restricts the amount of harmful emission from your engine. Emission legislation allows only little amounts of NOx. If you surpass this limit when running without AdBlue™, you may be running illegally.
Note: Legislation will not let you start your engine without AdBlue™

1624798283876.png

Last edited:
I missed the part where they say it’s being brought in. I guess it has to be an all or nothing across the country? Or clearly marked.

I have a 50 year old van that won’t like it! To be fair it rode out the change from leaded with just a few back fires, not that I will risk it with this.

Good old German engineering. Well 50 year old German engineers.

Will we have that choice, modern cars now use AdBlue to reduce emissions and its is an offence to let the tank run dry, will they make it an offence to knowingly not use E10 in a car manufactured after 2011?
how will they know unless garages take on the job of telling you you can't fill up with it which i don't think they will, so i will run the risk

how will they know unless garages take on the job of telling you you can't fill up with it which i don't think they will, so i will run the risk

If they make it an offence the majority will use it and as the garages use CCTV and its on the receipt what you used there is a way they can prove you broke the law, will people risk breaking the law because they think this stuff may damage their cars?

By the time i am likely to have a newer car we will know if it screws engines up or not :laugh8:

High alcohol petrol is awful stuff. Damages some rubber and plastic parts. Common on modern motorbikes (but not mine) to have plastic fuel tanks; I'm unsure how common they are in cars. But there have issues with them. If the E10 is the same as the muck that they sell as 'ni-plomb' in France, then my bike runs like a bag of spanners on it.. I need to use 'Super'.

Maybe they want to damage the cars so that people have to buy newer cleaner models? Wish I could afford an electric car!

Latest posts

Back