Easy Beer Brew Kit Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy O'Leary

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Phillips Perfect Draft machine which I love (best Xmas present I ever received), however, I am out of Kegs and somehow managed to stumble upon beer home brew kits, something I had never ever thought about until now.

Could anyone make some recommendations on an easy, cheap kit that may start me on the road of brewing? I hope that mt first purchase comes out ok as I think this could be something I like to do, so don't want to screw up the first attempt and put me off for life. Taste wise, not fussed. As an example, I have a local micro brewery pub whenever I go there I always try a new beer and have never been disappointed. Same with the perfect draft have tried loads and love them all. Any recommendations would be gratefully received, so over to you. Andy

The Coopers kits are the best one can kits, in my experience.
You get better beer from the more modern 2 can kits, that come with dry hops. Youngs, Festival, even Muntons will do you a good beer kit at not much more than £1 a litre.

Or you can go to making All Grain beer -
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/have-a-go-at-simple-ag.51779/page-74#post-790026

I very much suspect that these will be an improvement from the PPD machine. Especially the AG.

There are probably about 50-100 beer kits out there covering everything from lagers to stouts with all sorts of beers in the middle. Some are a lot better than others. And what I think is a good kit others may think is rubbish, and you might disagree with both of us. Plus cheap kits will give you cheap beer but not necessarily something you might want to drink, unless you know how to improve them
We do have a kit review section here so you could look through that.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/forums/beer-kits-brewing-equipment-reviews.37/
and in particular this
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...broken-links-please-read-post-number-3.61597/
My suggestions, if you like stout try Coopers one cans Irish and Original, lagers Coopers Euro lager, AIPA type Youngs AIPA, 'classic' bitter Woodefords Wherry (so look up the reviews to see what others have thought of them).
So its back to you now. athumb..

Don't waste your time with a lager kit. They're not going to give you anything that makes you want to jump for joy and shout to the sky "I am man, and I have created BEEER!" If you create something one step up from disappointment you have beaten the system.

Have a nose around in Wilkinson's and possibly B&M as they've still got fermenters and bottles and are alleged to get kits back in for Christmas.

Hey, thanks everyone for taking the time to impart your wealth of knowledge, a lot to read. I might have to give the Wilkinson's a visit I have one fairly near me. Will keep you posted on how it goes, hopefully will start by the weekend.

I quickly moved on from one can kits to just about every kit made by Festival.Very comprehensive kits and if you are patient all produce good results.If you like hoppy IPA the Razorback IPA is a go to kit for many kit brewers.Plus Young’s American series kits are really good too.
I am not affiliated to these brands but have had results that have not only impressed me but also my mates.Be patient tho!!

So went down to Wilko and purchased Woodfordes Starter Kit Real Ale. according to you tube vids you should sprinkle yeast to mix and not stir once sprinkled, but according to instructions on tub I should add yeast and mix, who's right and why does it make a difference? I went with youtube am I right?

Just sprinkle it on the surface and leave it alone. Some people rehydrate the yeast first but it hardly makes any difference if any at all. And some people stir the dried yeast in. Again hardly if any difference.

Yes, I've stirred/ not stirred in the yeast and haven't noticed any difference. Keeping a constant temperature is much more important, the only failure brew I've had to date was last summer, when I didn't get the temperature down enough before pitching.

Thanks again for replying. Quick update, I have bought a thermometer and am getting readings of 19 degrees C in the cupboard I am storing. Not much opportunity to move elsewhere really, is this going to cause a problem?

Thanks again for replying. Quick update, I have bought a thermometer and am getting readings of 19 degrees C in the cupboard I am storing. Not much opportunity to move elsewhere really, is this going to cause a problem?
That's fine.
I suggest you read your kit instructions again and if you haven't done so already, the stuff in the link I posted above which will cover this sort of thing
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/

OK, beer now bottled, I can see sediment within the bottom of the bottles, when serving how do you get beer out without drinking sediment, do you pour through some kind of filter when pouring from bottle into a glass?

Move bottle to where you intend to open it without bashing it about so the bottom yeast layer is undisturbed.
Open bottle and from the side gently pour beer into glass. Leave a small amount of yeasty beer in the bottle.
If your beer is quite lively you may need to pour it into a serving jug beforehand cos if you don't you may not get all the clear beer into your glass, and so you end up with more beer left in the bottle.
Some yeasts don't settle well and the slightest movement will cause the bottom layer to cloud up whereas some yeasts stick to the bottom like you-know-what to a blanket. And the longer you leave the beer in storage the less likely the yeast to cloud.
Things get better the more bottles you open as you develop a technique.

Try the Richie's Simply kits, my favourite one can kits and you can add/experiment with them to find something you like. Their pale ale is excellent as it is but even better with a dry hop addition.

Latest posts

Back