Easy guide to BIAB.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duxuk said:
Mashout temp? What would be the best temp to aim for? 85C?
I notice that the recommendation is to keep stirring whilst heating to avoid a temperature gradient form outside to the middle of your grain bag. I can see this being important. All that stirring might also release more sugars which are trapped inside the grains. I thought for an easy life I might not bother but this discussion has made me think again. I haven't been doing a mash out with my partials, just sieving the grain out and sparging.

I'd keep it below 80°C to avoid tannin extraction. I pull the bag out at 78°C. Stirring is definitely a good idea for the reasons you mention :thumb:

bunkerbrewer said:
Duxuk said:
Mashout temp? What would be the best temp to aim for? 85C?
I notice that the recommendation is to keep stirring whilst heating to avoid a temperature gradient form outside to the middle of your grain bag. I can see this being important. All that stirring might also release more sugars which are trapped inside the grains. I thought for an easy life I might not bother but this discussion has made me think again. I haven't been doing a mash out with my partials, just sieving the grain out and sparging.

I'd keep it below 80°C to avoid tannin extraction. I pull the bag out at 78°C. Stirring is definitely a good idea for the reasons you mention :thumb:

I stir all the time it takes to get to 76C/77C but this is purely to make sure that the bag does not scorch (I use a Malt Miller stock pot and gas burner). I agree with bunkerbrew - 85C is too high. Interesting theory re the stirring :hmm:.

I used to do the Dave Line method in the early 80's.
It would involve getting the biggest pan you could find and mashing the grain in a bag.
I would personally get a second pan to make up the volume and when sparging your worts, :lol:
You would run the second pan of water slowly through the bag using a precariously placed colander for an attempt as a sparge spray .
My bag was suspended between the backs of two chairs using thick bamboo through the bag handles with a FV below to collect the wort.
It was a bit hit and miss but I never got too much below the expected SG.
I didn't have the luxury of taps etc so you needed to be more muscle than brain to lift and pour the ruddy things accurately.
It may not have the finesse of you younger guys but it definitely turned my kitchen into a man cave on brewing days.
I definitely prefer the modern way as it makes things just slightly easier. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back