Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what we use on the farm, we've had great feed back - https://www.darkfarm.co.uk/mini-keg-growler/

https://www.darkfarm.co.uk/shop/equipment/

Happy to offer thehomebrewforum.co.uk 15% off send me a message for discount code :)
keg4.jpg

Last edited:
Can the 5l kegs from the supermarket be refilled then used with a PerfectDraft dispenser or something similar?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Cool thanks, and supermarket kegs can be used in one of them?

Sorry, I mean can you use supermarket kegs filled with homebrew in them? If naturally carbonated can you use without gas?

Sorry, I mean can you use supermarket kegs filled with homebrew in them? If naturally carbonated can you use without gas?

You need the 16g CO2 cartridges to dispense. 1 cartridge lasts about 2 kegs (sometimes 3) and last time I bought them I got 10 for about £12 and that was before Christmas.

There is a Klarstein model that uses an air pump to dispense but that only keeps the beer fresh for a couple of days whereas the CO2 one will keep beer fresh for several weeks.

You might need to change the bungs for the grey ones. You get 2 with the dispenser anyway and Brew UK sell them, I think they were linked a page or 2 back on this thread.

Yes...........just be careful not to overdo the priming sugar or you will end up with a glass of foam when you try to pour it. I find that 20g of sugar causes a bit of foam with the first pint but then settles down and (provided you don't try to pour more than a glass at a time) gives enough pressure to empty the keg. If you intend to dispense the lot within a short space of time ( BBQ ?) then just vent the keg by turning the red valve in the bung.

I am using these kegs from supermarkets via a party star tap but this last brew is giving a full glass of foam with each pour. I use 15g of priming sugar/keg. Although other brews give me an initial glass of foam it doesn't go more than one or two glasses. any ideas why this latest brew is a problem. Still tastes great mind you

I am using these kegs from supermarkets via a party star tap but this last brew is giving a full glass of foam with each pour. I use 15g of priming sugar/keg. Although other brews give me an initial glass of foam it doesn't go more than one or two glasses. any ideas why this latest brew is a problem. Still tastes great mind you

Try pouring a pint from the bottom tap before putting the party star in

Look out, she's gonna blow!

It's probably been said on this thread many times not to use mini kegs for lager, but I knew better (or thought I did).
Managed to transfer to bottles which I need to drink quickly before oxidation sets in.
IMG_20180622_102344847.jpg

I was going to say 20g which was the maximum recommended for the kegs but I just checked my notes and I batch primed at a rate of 35g for the 5 litres that went in the keg.

Rest went into bottles, I packaged this in February and would of got away with it if I had started it last week, better keep an eye on the bottles in case of infection but tastes ok.

35g is very high. I did 25g once as an experiment. The keg coped fine but the beer was all foam even chilled right down

I use 15g per MK in mine and before I started taking the first pint off via the bottom tap, I've still had the bottom seal blow when I inserted the wand for the Flexi-Tap!

I assume that the introduction of the wand increased the pressure due to displacement because it hasn't happened after taking off a pint (mainly foam) before inserting the wand.

Latest posts

Back