Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right guys, bung successfully removed in around 30 seconds, seems to be intact but we'll see if it pressurises.
I used something similar to a large double ended Allen key, fed it through the hole and rotated then pulled upwards, as you can see no damage at all to the keg. I think Mungri must have cleared Leyland out as I can't locate any anywhere...View attachment 14620
Well done.
They do still have them at Leyland. You just can’t get them mail order.
The lady told me that when she sells the last box it’s not going to be worth them getting any more because of the exchange rate with the euro. That’s why I bought a load.

Must of sold out really quickly, u want to sell any Mungry?
IMG_20180726_065332_824.jpg

Bottling a Galaxy ale today and sanitised one of my ex Jaipur kegs. Rinsing out lots of black bits were appearing in the sink.
Can't tell what they are as they're very small bits. Threw the keg out and don't think I'll use these one's again once they are all empty.

........ sanitised one of my ex Jaipur kegs. Rinsing out lots of black bits were appearing in the sink.

Usually, "black bits" are slivers of black mould that have been rinsed off the bottom and/or top seams of the MK. (*)

If you've gone to the trouble of cleaning out a Jaipur keg it would be a shame to just throw it away because you didn't clean it out properly to begin with! abigt

When cleaning out anything (kegs, FV's, PB's, tubes, pipes etc) I always finish the rinse by draining them and wherever possible drying them out with kitchen paper. I then give them a spray with StarSan mixture, cover them with a square of paper kitchen towelling and put them somewhere nice and dry; usually upside down so that they will continue to drain.

In the case of your Jaipur MK I would:
  • Pour about 250ml of Tesco Thin Bleach into it.
  • Fill the MK up to the brim with cold water.
  • Swill it around so that the inner top surface has been contacted with the bleach/water mixture.
  • Leave it to soak overnight.
  • Half empty the MK.
  • Shake the MK vigorously to dislodge anything else in there.
  • Drain the remainder of the liquid.
  • Rinse the MK out with cold water two or three times.
  • Fill the MK up to the brim and leave it for a second night.
  • Rinse it out with cold water until the smell of bleach has disappeared.
If "black bits" are still appearing after the first rinse of bleach/water mixture, I would regard the MK as a lost cause and bin it.

(*) Very occasionally, the "black bits" can be pieces of plastic coming from the bottom tap or bits from damage when removing the top bung. Rinsing these bits out are a matter of patience rather than using bleach.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

So THATS’s what that bit is for!

Last time I changed my minikeg, I got the dip-tube from my dispenser lodged in the keg and it took a hammer and some pliers to get it out.

When I put everything back together, I had a thick rubber washer and didn’t know where it had come from. I lay it to the side thinking it would be obvious. Tonight I tapped my keg whilst the tea was cooking.

As I pushed the dip tube in, I discovered what it is for - it goes down the dip tube to stop any beer escaping through the holes the CO2 goes into. Beer shot out of the holes, across the kitchen, over the clothes horse, and hit the kitchen door (probably about 8 feet).

I quickly pulled the tube out to inspect the damage. Luckily it appeared to have completely overshot the washing so there’s no beer on the clean clothes. I quickly dried the door and floor underneath thinking SWMBO would be no wiser.

About 5 minutes later she went into the walk-in cupboard that we keep the tumble drier and ironing stuff in and said “What have I just stood in?”. Busted! I could have blamed the cats but felt I had to come clean. Lesson learned!

Last edited:
8258F754-507C-4701-9A20-C819D302F949.jpeg
2F656BDC-6A26-4603-A5F2-414C21875729.jpeg
Cleared out my shed today. Not sure if it was the shelf collapsing or the heat, but one of my kegs now looks like this. I’m down to my last 4 MKs so will need to stock up.

Not sure if it was the shelf collapsing or the heat, but one of my kegs now looks like this

I've had a few do that in the last couple of weeks, some of them have been sitting happily for a few months and are from different brews, so I think it's down to the recent heat.

View attachment 14943 View attachment 14944 Cleared out my shed today. Not sure if it was the shelf collapsing or the heat, but one of my kegs now looks like this. I’m down to my last 4 MKs so will need to stock up.

Looks like the one I cooked in my brew fridge. Finished another keg the other day. After rinsing I looked inside (with a torch) and it's another that's got black scaly stuff inside. I may cut this one to see what it actually is

........ After rinsing I looked inside (with a torch) and it's another that's got black scaly stuff inside. I may cut this one to see what it actually is

I've usually found that "black scaly stuff" is a black mould that has stuck to the sides when the gear (bottle, tubing, pipe, PB etc) was out of service, but damp. If it is black mould then:
  • Rinsing with a sanitiser like Oxi-Clean kills it but doesn't remove it.
  • Bleach kills it but doesn't remove it; and also turns it white so that you can't see it. aheadbutt
Check out this as a way of cleaning the inside of a bottle or am MK ...

IMG_0729.jpg

Since taking the photograph I've modified it by using a stainless steel bike spoke and a load of small tie-wraps at the back of the chamois leather. The tie-wraps act as cleaners in their own right and also stop the chamois leather wrapping itself around the spoke.

Enjoy! :thumb:

So I opened up one of the suspect kegs and it was clean as a whistle. Very strange.

I looked and in some of others and they covered in marks/moukd/stain or whatever it is. Think I need a little camera to get a look because I don't fancy cutting another open

Opening an oldish thread here but the missus got me a shipyard from Morrisons and it looks like it has a 'newer ' plastic and no rubber bung type on top. If I was to reuse and get a replacement bung, would I have to get a vented one or just the mini keg rubber one if using the in situ tap?

I bought a pack of (expensive) bungs for the tops. Kegged 2x 5l of Razorback IPA last night, so I certainly hope they work. I'm planning to use the built in tap. Should work fine.

Opening an oldish thread here but the missus got me a shipyard from Morrisons and it looks like it has a 'newer ' plastic and no rubber bung type on top. If I was to reuse and get a replacement bung, would I have to get a vented one or just the mini keg rubber one if using the in situ tap?

Not sure mate.
As long as the bung on top you have is able to vent, you are able to remove and clean and replace, then you will be good.

I bought a pack of (expensive) bungs for the tops. Kegged 2x 5l of Razorback IPA last night, so I certainly hope they work. I'm planning to use the built in tap. Should work fine.
the taps are ok.
it just needs a ventable bung on top and you will be good to go.

Not sure mate.
As long as the bung on top you have is able to vent, you are able to remove and clean and replace, then you will be good.

Looking at it compared to others I've seen on here and YouTube it looks like those were easier to remove as had a rubber seal but this is more hard plastic against the metal. Think i might damaged the keg. No loss if I do wreck it but hate not being able to reuse

Latest posts

Back