Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an MK fail recently. Possibly slightly over carbonated but mostly it was in the recent hot weather and was too warm where it wss stored, and then a barometric pressure fall caused it to leak at a seam. Finely sprayed wardrobe with yeasty kveik ale!

Has anyone tried the key kegs? They have a bladder inside for the beer then you fill the annular space with water which is then pressured up with a bike pump to keep serving pressure on the beer. They look pretty good for parties/barbecue type occasions

This might sound like a daft question but what the hell......

When using an MK without the bottom tap in conjunction with the Party Star dispenser, when the MK is first tapped by inserting the dip tube through the rubber top bung, does the conditioned beer spray everything in sight, or is it quite straightforward and non messy?
It doesn't make any mess at all. As for cleaning, I rinse with warm watering it's finished and leave to air dry. On bottling day I clean with a solution of milton. Kegs used 3 times to date and no problems and hopefully for a good while yet.

i fill my MK to about 3/4" from the top prime with 12g of table sugar, and when ready to use simply push party star in never had any spray from them and never needed to draw off a pint or two

That's great to hear @private4587 think I'll give them a go. Obviously MK's aren't made to last like a stainless 5, 10 or more litre keg but with a little bit of care the flexibilty they offer seems to be a winning formula for me.

Cheers everyone :beer1:

Last edited:
Look also at Dark Farm. A forum sponsor who gives great service. Home Brew Draught Beer System 5L Mini Keg & CO2 dispenser + FLOW CONTROL TAP - Dark Farm

Fits in any fridge and pours a lovely beer. And it looks really cool on the train or at a party or barbecue. I have 2L and 5L and you only need one tap for many kegs.

I discounted these originally, but since I don't have dedicated cooling for any of my brewing, I am now thinking of trying them for the reason mentioned that they do fit in a normal kitchen fridge (I don't have room for any dedicated cooling really). It's a shame they are out of stock.

Also, I am glad I am not the only one who drinks from kegs on the train. I use easykegs normally (either shop-bought or homebrew, depending on what I have available). Downside with my easykegs are the accidental spraying of the passenger next to me when I open the top vent too quickly. Mind, it's only happened the once.

Earlier this summer I was given one Huber and five Fass Frisch used minikegs bought by a friend from local breweries when the pubs were shut. The FF ones are the type with the bung that has to be destroyed to remove it, and the Huber type are more common. Anyway I have been giving them a try over the last few weeks with mixed results but last night drew the first beer from a keg which I had already used before in addition to its first brewery use. And immediately got the 'metallic' taste in the beer others have reported. The only thing I did differently was a quick swill round with dilute VWP solution before the beer went in, prior to a thorough rinse. Anyway that's it for me with any minikegs that I have previously used, it's not worth the risk of finding out you have five litres of metallic tasting beer on your hands.

Back