Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed the black part and then using a hack saw blade I cut several grooves in the red part. This made it more flexible and easy to pull out with a set of pliers.

Stopped using these kegs ages ago though.
Can you prise out the black insert that sits in the red flange thingy?
Why did you stop using them?

Right, job done.
To remove the non re-useable hobgoblin type top vent bung without damaging the keg I (mis)used a soldering iron to melt and one side of the plastic flange bit so that I could see the hole in the keg. Made sure that what was left on the outside couldn't let the whole bung assembly fall into the keg, then used a pair of pliers to prise the remains of the bung out through the hole. Took 10- 15 minutes to do 3 kegs. Kegs unmarked.
Might get some cheapo rubber bungs first, unless anyone comes back and says they are rubbish. I will be using priming sugar. Informed views on here says between 13 and 15 g is needed, no more.

I use the mini kegs for most of my AG brews, have found them to be great so far, to be honest only done 3 brews using them however they have all carbed up ok using the Brewers friend calculator. The bungs are easy to remove, I did a search on this forum someone posted a video which explains how to remove the bungs ready for cleaning/sanitising, it also goes through how to put new bungs in the top. There might be some videos on YouTube of this as well. They do save time on bottling day, use mine at w/ends for sessions

Yeah that metallic taste is why I stopped using them. They were great (for lightly carbonated beers as Leon says) for 3 or 4 uses, then.....ugh.
I had the same problem. After 3 or 4 uses I was either getting pints of foam through them being difficult to clean, or metallic beer through damage to the lining.

I loved them for a couple of years then got fed up. If the “other” type of mini keg (pressure rated Dark Farm/iKegger style) were more widely available back then I probably would have gone for them instead.

Between the Partystar tap, the Klarstein dispenser and brand new kegs every 3-4 uses I’ve probably spent about the same as I would have. I’m currently selling my mini keg set up to part-finance the other mini kegs which are probably suit my house layout and ability to take to parties etc better than cornies due to their portability.

Last edited:
The metallic taste being referred comes from the fact that these kegs aren't really intended for multiple uses. I used to use these kegs ages ago and read back then that the they are lined internally to protect the beer from the metal but it's fairly weak and can be removed quite easily through cleaning. I used to give the keg a rinse with water then starsan before filling, no oxi etc. Even if handled properly they're only really intended for single fills. You can re-use them a couple of times if you're careful but after that it will be touch and go.

I've got a few of these, some reclaimed and some bought unused. They definitely have a limited life as pointed out - corrosion on the outside is visible and likely to penetrate. They are difficult to inspect inside. Replacement 'soft' bungs for the top are easy to get. The 'hard' bungs in some filled kegs are the devil to get out. Not sure I will bother again, it is almost impossible to avoid scratching the top which then corrodes. What the HB community needs is a good quality reusable 5L plastic keg!

I now have some new inexpensive soft bungs to fit in the 'repurposed' Easy Kegs I was given, to try them out as an an experiment.
I see that some chemicals can damage the liner.
I gave them a good rinsing with several fills of tap water before putting them away, but that's all the treatment they have had.
Before using them I would ideally like to soak the inside with something to clean, remove any taint and sanitise or sterilise then give them a good rinse with clean water before putting beer into them.
I have Starsan, VWP, unscented Oxyclean and thin bleach, as well as plain boiling water.
So what do folks do to get the best out of them before they become unusable due to lining failure.

Thread's like these are normally TLDR but in this case I DID :laugh8:, some good advice and info here.

I'm back to brewing after years of inactivity, looking for an alternative to bottling and MK's seem like a possible solution.

In summary MK's are a cheap way into kegging especially when re-using the right ones prefilled with commercial beer.

There's also the option of buying empty kegs with or without the bottom tap and using the Party Star Deluxe to dispense.

The consesus seem to be that the MK's will last for a while so long as they're looked after but they're not indestructable and will need replacement as and when they get damaged.

I found this video on YouTube which gives an good overview which I don't think was posted on this thread:

For me MK's still seem a possible solution but I think I'll try and re-use the prefilled ones first before I jump in properly.

I read that some on here have tried them and found them wanting but others are still using so it'd be great to hear more feedback if people can summon the enthusiasm after post # 1770 :?:

I've got a couple of these and won't be buying again. I'm on the second use and the beer tastes metalic. I used bruclens to clean after use then again prior to use to sanitise(thoroughly rinsed on each occasion after using bruclens). Maybe I am doing this bit wrong?

I have used these for quite a while now and have only had to ditch one or two after many uses. After used i rinse with tap water maybe two or three tank fills then drain a s best as possible, once dry given a squirt of Starsan or similar and covered either with tape of clear plastic bungs. when needed again given a good dose of Starsan drained and then filled with home-brew. Only had one that had to be binned because of metallic tasting and that was my own problem for giving it an inspection for rust before use

This might sound like a daft question but what the hell......

When using an MK without the bottom tap in conjunction with the Party Star dispenser, when the MK is first tapped by inserting the dip tube through the rubber top bung, does the conditioned beer spray everything in sight, or is it quite straightforward and non messy?

This might sound like a daft question but what the hell......

When using an MK without the bottom tap in conjunction with the Party Star dispenser, when the MK is first tapped by inserting the dip tube through the rubber top bung, does the conditioned beer spray everything in sight, or is it quite straightforward and non messy?

Which is exactly why I:
  • Only used MK's with a bottom tap; and removed about a pint before inserting the dip tube.
  • Still inserted the dip tube very, very slowly.
  • Only ever carbonated at a maximum of 3g per litre!
I then decided that 5 litres was much too small (it only lasted a maximum of three days), went on to 10 litre growlers ...

... and then started my diet! aheadbutt aheadbutt aheadbutt

Enjoy!

Which is exactly why I:
  • Only used MK's with a bottom tap; and removed about a pint before inserting the dip tube.

That’s the thing @Dutto tapping the MK without drawing a pint before the dip tube goes in will surely result in a beer bath? Happy to be proved wrong on this if others have different views.

Didn’t want to use the MK’s with the bottom tap as it’s probably going to be another infection source.

Hear what you’re saying about the quantity being too meagre as well :beer1:

Don't use any acid or chlorine-based cleaners or sanitisers as these will attack the metal inside unless it's plastic lined.

Don't use any acid or chlorine-based cleaners or sanitisers as these will attack the metal inside unless it's plastic lined.

I was under the impression that MK’s had some sort of internal coating just like cans used for food etc? And it’s when this coating is damaged then that’s what causes the beer to be tainted.

I believe people have used PBW and Starsan/Chemsan without any issues.

Latest posts

Back