Easy Keg how good

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col222

Reaction score
i Looking for a cheap alternative to bottling with similar results and came across the easy key Minikeg (brewuk.co.uk) they probably be other types or similar that might be better or the same but this is what i found , would be nice to hear from someone that has them or has used them in the past .

As above.

Also if you happen to buy any beer from the supermarket in kegs like that most of those can be recycled for homebrew. On some of the bungs can easily be removed without wrecking them, on others you might need a replacement.

I wouldn't bother TBH.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but they're hard to clean, foam a lot at the start then dribble at the end as there's no way to topping up the CO2, and I ended up with a metallic taste. The stainless-steel minikegs with a regulator and CO2 bulb are much better, either 5L or 10L, more expensive of course but I'm glad I went this way. Or cornies.

I got this and it's great, wish I'd got one sooner. Other brands are available. ‘Single Walled’ Black 10L Mini Keg with Disconnect Tap, Flow Control and Premium CO2 Valve - Dark Farm

I use (reuse) commercially packaged mini kegs occasionally. Only for taking beer away with me on holiday or to a family event. I wouldn't choose to package beer in them regularly as a personal storage solution. As has been mentioned by others they do foam a bit if you over carbonate. I find 11g of sugar enough. Any more and the foam lasts forever.

You need to extract the standard vent and get hold of some bungs. The bungs are really easy to use and seal very well.

Order yourself a couple of Schrader valves used in mountain bike tyres and you can top up pressure with a co2 the inflator or if your planning to get through a keg in a couple of days just use a regular cycle pump.

rps20210612_191845.jpg

rps20210612_191921.jpg

I've used these a few times with variable success - the main problem I've found with them is an occasional metallic off-taste due (I think) to corrosion.
I've been told they aren't stainless, just plain steel with a resin coating on the inside... and if you get any damage to that coating (e.g. from overenthusiastic cleaning) then that's where the problem arises.
FWIW the time I got this I'd cleaned the keg with strong bleach solution and this may have been what damaged the coating...?

Order yourself a couple of Schrader valves used in mountain bike tyres and you can top up pressure with a co2 the inflator or if your planning to get through a keg in a couple of days just use a regular cycle pump.

That looks neat, and I've got a spare Schrader valve in my toolbox from an old pressure tank. Is there a good way to hook the Schrader up to a CO2 line from a regulator?

That looks neat, and I've got a spare Schrader valve in my toolbox from an old pressure tank. Is there a good way to hook the Schrader up to a CO2 line from a regulator?
I have been looking for options to do just that. Conclusion I've come to is it's probably best suited to burst carbonating or to top up headspace during dispensing, rather than as a long term connector. There are "no loss" Schrader chucks available that screw on to the valve and actuated by twisting a collar or key that may be suitable. As I'm only really interested in priming with sugar at home and dispensing while away, I haven't followed up with a regulator attached solution.

I have been looking for options to do just that. Conclusion I've come to is it's probably best suited to burst carbonating or to top up headspace during dispensing, rather than as a long term connector. There are "no loss" Schrader chucks available that screw on to the valve and actuated by twisting a collar or key that may be suitable. As I'm only really interested in priming with sugar at home and dispensing while away, I haven't followed up with a regulator attached solution.
Thinking these might work: Toolwiz Tire Chuck 2 Sets Air Chuck 1/4 Inch Brass Tyre Valve Air Pump Clip Tire Inflator Open Flow Straight Lock-on Air Compressor Hose End with Barb Connector for Hose Repair : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 13.13.51.png

I wouldn't bother TBH.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but they're hard to clean, foam a lot at the start then dribble at the end as there's no way to topping up the CO2, and I ended up with a metallic taste. The stainless-steel minikegs with a regulator and CO2 bulb are much better, either 5L or 10L, more expensive of course but I'm glad I went this way. Or cornies.

I got this and it's great, wish I'd got one sooner. Other brands are available. ‘Single Walled’ Black 10L Mini Keg with Disconnect Tap, Flow Control and Premium CO2 Valve - Dark Farm

I absolutely agree with this. I bought those exact easy kegs in the op and got no more than 2 uses out of them. If you plan to be homebrewing well in to the future and can cover the cost, go for a proper stainless steel mining setup. BKT do a bundle to get you up and running:
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collections/keg-kits/products/5l-minikeg-party-kitThat's just an example, not saying it's the best

Because of scheduling, I don't have opportunity to brew as often as I like, so I limit my weekly intake to stretch the 20L batch out.

I currently don't have a kegerator (just purchased a house, so that purchase will be at a distance). Yet, I might could convince the missus for a fridge shelf for a minikeg.

Curious as to how long the mini keg holds pressure?

Back