Easy 'red' wine from Supermarket juice WoW.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are happy with the taste apart from the metallic part I would say finish it and top up with juice, i have never had the metallic taste in my wines so haven'ta clue what is causing it.

If you are happy with the taste apart from the metallic part I would say finish it and top up with juice, i have never had the metallic taste in my wines so haven'ta clue what is causing it.

Thanks Chippy but I cannot put my tongue on whether it is pure metallic or an oveload of unfermented sugar due to the overload of grape. As it is still bubbling maybe it is more to do with a secondary ferment (malic?) Perhaps Tau will jump in on that one! Remember, this is all grape juice AND Youngs definitive. My gut says finish it but top with water not even more juice. Holding fire.......

I've read somewhere that too much Glycerine can produce a metallic taste.

Apparently it does add a mettalic taste, but most probably has come from the juices or any metallic utentsils brought into contact with the wine.

Have a look at this article: http://www.winepros.org/aftertaste/3-myths.htm

Vinotinto
("Thanks Chippy but I cannot put my tongue on whether it is pure metallic or an oveload of unfermented sugar due to the overload of grape. As it is still bubbling maybe it is more to do with a secondary ferment (malic?) Perhaps Tau will jump in on that one! Remember, this is all grape juice AND Youngs definitive. My gut says finish it but top with water not even more juice. Holding fire.......}

If you're still using that old boots hydrometer then 0.984 I would say is the finish point. Although secondary may have started, odds are still in primary.

Apparently it does add a mettalic taste, but most probably has come from the juices or any metallic utentsils brought into contact with the wine.

Have a look at this article: http://www.winepros.org/aftertaste/3-myths.htm

Vinotinto
("Thanks Chippy but I cannot put my tongue on whether it is pure metallic or an oveload of unfermented sugar due to the overload of grape. As it is still bubbling maybe it is more to do with a secondary ferment (malic?) Perhaps Tau will jump in on that one! Remember, this is all grape juice AND Youngs definitive. My gut says finish it but top with water not even more juice. Holding fire.......}

If you're still using that old boots hydrometer then 0.984 I would say is the finish point. Although secondary may have started, odds are still in primary.

Tau, thanks. The reading was .994 not .984
Yes the old boots hydrometer but I think we exhausted that one before. The boots one is more accurate than any newer one I have 'tested' . ;)

And......... no metallic instruments were harmed during the making of this wine!

No problem. I have emailed Youngs. Watching this space may be futile though. ;)

I have not forgotten about this. Been onto Youngs a couple of times. Their buyer has now sent a request out to the Spanish suppliers to try and get the info. Experience of the Spanish tells me that I may be waiting a while for a response. :whistle:

Update - result from Youngs.

The Youngs Definitive Grape Juice 245g cans contain 135.73 g of natural sugar. This applies to both red and white varieties.

So there you have it from the horse's Mouth. Sounds too precise to be concocted!

Left this in the DJ for a good while now after fining and topping up. Lovely and clear but more importantly has completely lost the horrid metal taste and actually tastes quite nice. Will bottle and take some ' how red is it ' pics next week.

Nice to see a horrid taste has gone. I have a calif conn malbec done but it has overtones of underpants on it. Hoping another week or two might get rid of that.

Glad this turned out ok !
I'm interested in giving it a try, do you have the exact recipe as I cant find Richards red? You touched on it at the beginning,but I'm not clear on glycerine used, tannin source, and citric ?
Also, you had a dilemma on topping up with water vs juice, I'm curious which you chose .
Thanks mate
Al

Glad this turned out ok !
I'm interested in giving it a try, do you have the exact recipe as I cant find Richards red? You touched on it at the beginning,but I'm not clear on glycerine used, tannin source, and citric ?
Also, you had a dilemma on topping up with water vs juice, I'm curious which you chose .
Thanks mate
Al

Just posted to your question on other thread.
In addition to info there and link to Richards recipe I used 1tsp Wilko tannin ( you could use tea ) , 1 tsp citric, and 1tsp glycerine ( get it from Boots at aBout £1.35 for 100ml much cheaper than supermarket stuff in baking aisle! )
I topped with 1/2 l Waitrose rgj and the rest water. The jury is still out and I will bottle this week with pictures etc.

Hope this helps.

Asda / Lidl etc will be cheaper but we get this with our Ocado shopping delivered so easy for me. Went for the Merlot grape in effort to get more 'red' in there.

--------------------------------------------

I used 3 x Waitrose Merlot grape juice, 1 can youngs enricher and 500g sugar in 1l of water. Topped up when finished with 1/2 l rgj and rest water. Check the easy red thread next week and I will post pics when bottling etc.

Recipe as requested:

3 litres pure pressed red grape juice (3 for £2 Tescos or Sainsburys 100% pressed red grape or you can use the Italian grape juice from Sainsbods in place of one of the pressed.)

I can (245 gram) Youngs wine enricher ( I get mine from Wilko's) this is a must as it gives some body to the wine.

1tsp nutrient, 1tsp citric acid, 1tsp pectolase ½tsp tannin and I always use a Vit B1 tab but it is not essential.

450 grams sugar dissolved in hot water to make 1 litre liquid.

Make up to the 1 gall mark with water if needed and check OG should be around 1090-5.

I always use 500 grams sugar this gives an OG of 1.100 at the 1 gall mark I then fill almost to the top this, I find, then brings it down to 1.090 and I then draw off about ¾ litre and ferment this in a pet this way I get a full DJ when the fermentation dies down and no frothing over.

Use a starter yeast ( I use Harris's super yeast but a Burgandy gives better results) and ferment to required dryness mine is about 0.998

Then the usual de-gas stabilise fine filter etc.

I usually get 6+ bottles using my method but it does cost about £5 for the 6 but IMHO you do get a decent red table wine.

Regards and enjoy Richard G

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1295555884/0

Additionally this will never be a red wine. What I am trying for though is a decent tasting WoW type recipe that is as red as possible. The look of the wine may help to deceive the brain into what it tastes like maybe? Many studies done in this theatre!

Ok, as promised, bottled today. The metallic taste has gone and it is nice and clear. Used 3ml youngs sweetener per bottle. The numbers suggest that this is pretty strong at 14.96%. Is it red? Well it is not bad. More like an 11% fruity Blossom Hill in appearance so not a bad effort. In future I would top with all rgj instead of rgj and water and then perhaps omit the need to sweeten. Apologies in advance but I think one of the pics will come out sideways.

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

I found the merlot juice rather light in colour so I substituted 1 of the 3 litres with a litre of Sainsbury's red grape juice, which is darker.
Did you use the non concentrated one £1.25 a Litre, or the standard one @ 85p ?
We haven't got a Waitrose up here, and I have some Sainsbury's vouchers to get rid of so may just use x7 of those along with the rest of the concentrates.
This is for a ten litre batch. I can't fit demijohns in my airing cupboard, but my smaller bucket slides in there fine and it's a constant 24 degrees all day every day

Latest posts

Back