Eat out to help out discount scheme

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will be doing the same if the town council gets its way. aheadbutt

CONCERNS have been raised that a new government scheme allowing food and drink to be served outside will bring the return of ‘drunkenness on the streets’.

South Lakeland District Council (SLDC) has approved a fast-track pavement licensing scheme to support businesses reopening following the coronavirus lockdown.

Councillors unanimously agreed the policy, which means cafes and pubs will more easily be able to apply for licences to use pavements for tables and chairs to maximise their capacity whilst adhering to social distancing guidelines.

However, Mark Wilson an Ulverston town councillor, believes the plans would create a 'strip' in the town centre and encourage criminal behaviour.

He said: “Plans under the new Business Act and Legislation seem to set to take us back to the bad old days of drunkenness on our streets.

“I’m very concerned that residents haven’t been consulted about this and will hardly have a chance to mount objections to the prospect of boozing in the streets or nearby green spaces until September 2021.

“No proper time is being allowed for them to speak to the licensing authorities.

“Places are licensed to sell alcohol until 11pm or later which could create somewhat of a strip in the town centre full of late night drinking.”

A report before SLDC councillors said: “In determining these applications SLDC will have to balance the needs and demands of a number of different interested parties.

“The guiding principle will be that these are temporary measures designed to help business through an unprecedented period of economic uncertainty and wherever practicable we will seek to issue these licences to allow business the best opportunity to manage their businesses through these uncertain times.”

You could end as soho - by - the lakes

You could end as soho - by - the lakes

Our town centre is tiny and brings in many tourists i think that is why residents are up in arms about this decision.

I like old photos, it hasn't changed that much.

1596559049938.png

1596559142568.png

1596559074517.png

1596559106745.png

1596559185543.png

1596559259121.png

Its not a theory its happening.
... and getting closer (down to 1m from 2m, say) to someone who is infected with coronavuirus, increases your risk of becoming infected, yes ... but if your son's friends weren't infected, then he didn't increase his risk of infection by getting drunk and getting closer to his friends last night, instead he increased his risk of infection by being in an enclosed space with lots of other people (even though they were further away from him than his friends) and by handling items (glassware and maybe crockery/cutlery if he ate out, etc.) that the staff in the pub (who may or may not have washed their hands just beforehand) had handled :?: ... so overall, he's increased his risk of infection by going out, by doing something that the UK Government are encouraging (given this Eat Out to Help Out scheme you could call it bribery) us ALL to do, but the media, and now you and MyQul are joining the bandwagon, want to just focus on the those elements of risk that were down to your son and his friends :?:

We desparately want you to do this, and we know this is risky, but whenever it goes wrong, we're going to blame you!! :confused.:

Cheers, PhilB

They pedestrianised my local town and it works great, some tables outside cafes and the like and plenty of space to walk around without getting close to others.

My wife took the kids and her friend and little one out yesterday. When I got back from work she realised it should have been half price. She contacted the place and they said they couldn't work the app so charged full price, without even mentioning anything. I think they were trying to pull a fast one.

instead he increased his risk of infection by being in an enclosed space with lots of other people (even though they were further away from him than his friends) and by handling items (glassware and maybe crockery/cutlery if he ate out, etc.) that the staff in the pub (who may or may not have washed their hands just beforehand) had handled :?: .

We desparately want you to do this, and we know this is risky, but whenever it goes wrong, we're going to blame you!

Nail on head there @PhilBrew, certainly won’t be the clowns currently pretending to be a functioning Government taking the blame asad. oh no siree Mr Prime Minister/Mr Cummings:hat:

Having said that there’s enough numpties around the UK (not saying anyone on here fits that description before someone takes offence) really not taking the Covid situation serious enough to prevent the next uptick in infections. Unfortunately until there’s an effective vaccine, going out to eat and drink will be like playing Russian roulette ashock1

but the media, and now you and MyQul are joining the bandwagon, want to just focus on the those elements of risk that were down to your son and his friends :?:

As i said this is the first time he has been out in 3 months, he met friends he has not seen in many month (pre covid) i agree there is a risk of getting the virus from the pub staff but sitting closer to people than the experts tell us to to me is a far bigger risk otherwise why have a distance at all, i am not jumping on any bandwagon i watch the news and have my own views.

We desparately want you to do this, and we know this is risky, but whenever it goes wrong, we're going to blame you!! :confused.:

Im not jumping on any bandwagon. I think you've hit the nail on the head in your final sentance . BJ and the Government are pushing two mutually exclusive things. Yes, we can lockdown the country, everyone should socially distance and wear masks, we can beat the virus. But you can go to the pub, everyone back to work, we'll open up the economy, everything's back to normal now. They then blame us for when it goes horribly wrong

There are two options -

Total lockdown while we await a vaccine beat the virus the country is broke.

Try to open business slowly so the NHS is not overwhelmed by a second wave (while we await a vaccine) and with luck the majority of businesses survive.

There isn't much in the way of a middle ground between the two if there was i am sure they would have taken it.

There are two options -

Total lockdown while we await a vaccine beat the virus the country is broke.

Try to open business slowly so the NHS is not overwhelmed by a second wave (while we await a vaccine) and with luck the majority of businesses survive.

There isn't much in the way of a middle ground between the two if there was i am sure they would have taken it.

I agree. With option two the important word is 'slowly'. I think BJ opened up to fast. Look at how the other devolved governments opened up slowly. Then this weekend BJ had to do a u-turn on opening up things like bowling alleys

Getting children back to school full time should be the priority. I understand the economy needs help but education to me should come first

I am probably not thinking this through but couldn't they add the time missed to the end of the final term or bring them back for a short final term rather than risk opening all schools.

I am probably not thinking this through but couldn't they add the time missed to the end of the final term or bring them back for a short final term rather than risk opening all schools.
My problem is having children at primary and secondary school. If the school's bring them back part time which seems to be one of the options. Then it will be difficult for my wife to keep working.
Before this we relied on help from grandparents, it's very difficult to get childcare plus it's very expensive. If having pubs and restaurants open result in a second wave leading to the schools staying closed for longer it will also lead to unemployment. I am sure we are not the only family in this situation.

Teachers union won't like that. Teachers were due to work an extra week this summer for a extra week off in October but the teachers union had a melt down.

Back