eBay etiquette

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask, if you are selling stuff on the Bay of E, is it jolly bad form edit your listing to say

"STOP WATCHING THIS AND GET BIDDING YOU CHEAPSKATES!!"

I suspect the answer may be yes, but wanted to check :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Heh. I watch quite a lot of stuff just to get a feel for what kind of money it goes for. I have no intention of bidding on it for a few months, maybe years!

oldbloke said:
Heh. I watch quite a lot of stuff just to get a feel for what kind of money it goes for. I have no intention of bidding on it for a few months, maybe years!

I do that a bit, and due to everyone bidding at the last minute often find nothing appears sold until about 1min to go..

I understand your frustration though, bugs me too

Watchers are odd,
  • Some of the watchers are trying to keep track of the value of items they own.
    Some of them will be keeping a track of values while saving for future purchases.
    Some will be on the look out for bargains and might stick in a cheeky bid close to the end time.
    Some serious buyers will have their maximum bid logged with sniping software ready to jump in in the final few seconds!

RDWHAHB

Jeltz said:
Some serious buyers will have their maximum bid logged with sniping software ready to jump in in the final few seconds![/list]
That's Me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I can't be bothered with sniping - I decide what my max is, and just bid it, early on.
If I don't win at least I got the seller a decent price (is what I tell myself every time I miss something)

I'm the same, but I have ebay set to automatically bid up to my maximum. so even if I get 'sniped' if its not over the maximum that I am willing to spend, i'll still win :D

You have the option to set a reserve on the item you are selling, if you don't want to sell it for less, don't put it up. Sniping is a natural form of bidding to purchase the item you want for the least amount of money. Bid early- drive the price up. It's basic maths.

pogierob said:
You have the option to set a reserve on the item you are selling, if you don't want to sell it for less, don't put it up. Sniping is a natural form of bidding to purchase the item you want for the least amount of money. Bid early- drive the price up. It's basic maths.

I'm not convinced it makes much difference IMHO the max you will pay is the max you will pay - be it happening in the last few seconds or over 3 days... Now it may have more of a psychological impact ( people increasing their max with longer to think about it ) but I don't think it comes down to maths.. :wha:

Sorry Aleman but I am one of those annoying watchers, I watch loads of the same item so that I can first see what kind of price they are going for :) and if someone put that on a listing then there’s not a snowballs chance I would be bidding on it! :lol:

I look out for the end times of listings, some people list them to end at silly hours when less people are awake. Those are the best ones to snipe as chances are the other people watching and asleep in their beds and forgotten about the sweet bargain they could have had! (that’s what goes on in my mind anyway...)

I'm a watcher too, be it things I like or things I might need in future.

I have had stuff I'm watching that have been re-listed many times most I will never bid on.

Since most 'Buy it Nows' are subject to Distance Selling protection, and reserves attract extra fees, I'm one of those that will stick something on in an auction for pretty much what I want for it at the start. When that's the case, it figures that I will get lots of watchers and no bids for a long time.

Hawks said:
pogierob said:

I'm not convinced it makes much difference IMHO the max you will pay is the max you will pay - be it happening in the last few seconds or over 3 days... Now it may have more of a psychological impact ( people increasing their max with longer to think about it ) but I don't think it comes down to maths.. :wha:

I'm sure many people (certainly 'enough' people to move the price) see the increasing figure and re-evaluate what their 'maximum' really is. This can happen at any stage apart from the last 10 seconds or so, in which there is not enough time to see someone else's big bid, feel reassured that you were right to think it might be worth more, and enter a higher bid. Guess when I put my first and last bid in. Actually, I sometimes stick the minimum bid on early on, just to make it less likely that the seller will withdraw the item, but other than that...last 10 seconds or so, manually if I can, snipe software if not.

I'm usually cursing the folk who are slowly notching the price up along the way, with the 'pack' reconsidering their highest bids as they go along. Not very British of me, perhaps.

Latest posts

Back