Editting posts

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
There seems to be a bug cropping up when high-lighting and moving text in a post. It's been going on for a few months now.

On posting the moved text appears on its own line (i.e. bracketed by CR) in a different font. It's a bit of a pain to have to open the post again (for editing) and retype the bad line. "Cut and paste" seems okay, but I'm always forgetting to use that method instead.

Cheers!

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
Have you tried several browsers? When you highlight some text, are you highlighting the space before and after? Maybe the browser is adding a CR.

I tried your technique of highlighting and dragging to swap the first two sentences and it seems ok.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you mean moving text within a post or moving it to a new one?

What do you use to access the site, which browser are you using and have you tried other browsers?

When using my android phone with Opera browser i have always used copy & paste so i haven't witnessed this issue, is there any way you could post a screen shot.

Last edited:

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
Have you tried several browsers? When you highlight some text, are you highlighting the space before and after? Maybe the browser is adding a CR.

I tried your technique of highlighting and dragging to swap the first two sentences and it seems ok.
I thought I'd said, but I didn't … This often happens, it doesn't always happen.

Good point about high-lighting spaces, I do if I think the moved text will need one but as the position I'm "moving" to is obscured by an unhelpful "move arrow" I rarely get to place the text accurately (with spaces in right place) anyway. I'll try getting out of habit of including leading/trailing spaces. As picking up such spaces is a bit random anyway it might explain why this issue occurs a bit randomly too.
What do you use to access the site, which browser are you using and have you tried other browsers?
Microsoft "Edge" (Windows 10) - I don't use anything else. If I remember I'll post a screenshot next time it happens.

I could try and
make it
happen right now ...

(EDIT: Eee, that was easy! Leading space included in moved text ("make it"). Screenshot attached if this is just something I see).

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Administrator
Reaction score
if this is just something I see
I assume most of us on a PC/Laptop automatically use copy/paste or cut/paste so will never see this problem it'll be interesting to see if any other members are having the same problem.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
Let me try a bit of trouble shooting:

This is
moved text
with no leading/trailing spaces. Random extra letters.
This is
moved text
with leading space. Random extra letters.
This is
moved text
with trailing spaces. Random extra letters.
This is
moved text
with leading and tailing spaces. Random extra letters.

(EDIT: Well, that was fairly conclusive - leading and/or trailing spaces included in the high-lighted text ("moved text") have no effect on what appears to be a very repeatable bug).

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Administrator
Reaction score
what appears to be a very repeatable bug)
It may be "a very repeatable bug" but it may just be you that is seeing it because you prefer to do it this way instead of using cut/paste.

If any other members are having issues can you add to the thread, thanks.

Latest posts