EDME Bitter Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex_Lad

Regular.
Reaction score
This was a one tin kit that I picked up from Wilkos for around £12.

Brewed with 1kg of Brown sugar and 250g of spray malt.

Like most brews this really did get better with age, I bottled this and tried one after around three weeks and it had a shocking aftertaste so much so I was tempted to sink the lot as I wanted to free up the bottles. Not being one to waste things I decided to give this more time and I’m glad I did, this aftertaste soon went after around six weeks in the bottle.

This turned out to be my session brew and its didn’t last long but like all my brews I like to keep some back to try after 3-6 months after. Tried one that was six months old the other evening and its was great, lovely head and texture.

This is my first failure. I don't like it. It's been in the keg for a month and tastes very thin, has an aftertaste like washing up liquid and is overall very disappointing .

I will leave it for another month invade it improves but as said above I seriously considered pouring it away.

Just got this from a new Boyes shop near where I live - couldnt really turn it down for £7.50.
Gonna brew it tomorrow with 1.5Kg of beer enhancer ready for christmas

so this has had 2 weeks in primary fv, the sample from the trial jar tasted a bit weak but the abv is up at 5.3%.
I have now transferred to a secondary FV and added a challenger hop teabag as my first attempt at dry hopping so will be interesting to see what its like when I transfer to a pressure barrel next weekend

Back