Einbrew 3V2P - First Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdyG

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I’ve not really posted on here, I visit occaisionally but mainly use Twitter for homebrew chat, but thought I’d do a little write up about the recent modifications to my 3 vessel kit recently connected to the Einbrew 3V2P Controller.

I’ve had the kit around two years, built from a two 70L stainless steel stock pots for the HLT and the boiler, then a 50L thermopot for the mashtun. All the fittings and modifications have been done with parts from Homebrew Builder and Angel Homebrew and fitted by me.

I used the kit for around 18 months just doing batch sparging, but wanted more accuracy, control and efficiency. I also wanted an easier way of controlling mash temperature and the ability to do step mashes. I wanted to install a HERMS coil, and I also wanted a controller like The Electric Brewery.

Einbrew were looking for people to test their controllers in the field and were kind enough to send me a 3V2P to trial. Once the HERMS was installed connecting the controller was very easy as the PT100 temperature probes replaced the temperature dials I had in the t-piece connectors for the sight glasses in the HLT and boiler. I fitted the mashtun temperature probe in a t-piece connector before the tap. The pumps and element plugs were swapped for C20 & C13 connectors to plug into the controller. I have two 2.4kw elements but it can run 3kw maximum on a 16A circuit. It was a very quick and simple plug and play install.

My first brew day was a Flanders Red Ale Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge clone to try the stepped mash. I wanted 40 minutes at 63C, 20 minutes at 72C then 10 minutes at 76C. The HLT was set to 76C strike temperature which was probably too hot, as cold water was added to the HLT get back to 63C. Pump 1 was turned on manually to recirculate through the HERMS coil and back onto the top of the grain bed with a Flexible Sparge Hose. You can pre program up to 9 mash steps and 9 hop insertions in advance, but you can pause and amend the brew day as you progress. The controller also pulses the pump on/off a few times before running to assist priming.

The mash worked exactly to plan, and for the sparge I could just run pump 1 from the HLT and pump 2 simultaneously to drain from the mashtun to boiler. At this I started heating up the boiler.

There were a couple of default settings I had to change on the controller to get both pumps to run simultaneously and accept temperatures higher than 95C but a quick look at the instructions easily solved that.

I had two hop additions at 60 minutes and 10 minutes pre programmed, and the alarm sounds to notify you. After the boil you set the required cooling temperature and let the pump recirculate through the plate chiller until you reach 21C in this case. The pumps always have to be turned on manually, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing as it encourages you to keep an eye on your brew day.

The following day I did a 50L batch of 6% IPA to give the controller another run, again everything went to plan. I had an issue with the filter in the boiler clogging with hops and run off really slowing down but that always happens with really hoppy beers.

Overall I was very impressed with the way the Einbrew 3V2P performed, it's an awesome bit of kit and well worth getting if you want to take your brewing to the next level. It’s a really well made and easy to use controller, and did everything I wanted it to do. I think at some point I will upgrade my elements to 3kw to speed things up a bit.

I have several more brew days planned over the next few weeks including a Saison, an Tripel, an Orval Clone and a Gose, so looking forward to getting the Einbrew to brew these too.

Here's some pictures of the kit and controller, any questions then let me know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127849091 ... ed-public/

Attachments

• IMG_20180423_193345.jpg
    IMG_20180423_193345.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20180422_153314.jpg
    IMG_20180422_153314.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20180422_153245.jpg
    IMG_20180422_153245.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20180427_094941.jpg
    IMG_20180427_094941.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 234
I think I saw this video tweeted into my timeline the other day, looks very cool!

I think I saw this video tweeted into my timeline the other day, looks very cool!

Cheers AJhutch, really pleased with it. I live tweeted some of the brew day last Thursday and Friday, well the bits I didn't mess up.

A very neat looking setup! well done :hat:
Cheers

Thanks chesters-mild, I've been thinking about going for a HERMs since I got the pots, so glad I did, and the Einbrew controller just connects it all up so nicely.

I can thoroughly recommend the controller. Easy to set up and great control over all aspects of the brewday. Saves me a lot of effort around hitting mash temp, and easy to mash out and sparge. The clarity of the wort going into the BT is amazing and efficiency is increased by up to 10% on some days.
Great compact unit, investment for life.

Attachments

• B5CC4ACD-FA27-4D8C-A589-5AF9647471D3.jpeg
    B5CC4ACD-FA27-4D8C-A589-5AF9647471D3.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 59BD8684-87A2-4FB5-AD82-651B8C0A14CE.jpeg
    59BD8684-87A2-4FB5-AD82-651B8C0A14CE.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 188
  • EC5EDD0F-3789-4512-A17D-C2FDB2C8D7F0.jpeg
    EC5EDD0F-3789-4512-A17D-C2FDB2C8D7F0.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 155
  • BFB09E93-1606-4725-93D4-52DEA71BA731.jpeg
    BFB09E93-1606-4725-93D4-52DEA71BA731.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 162
Are you still using this controller? Thinking about buying one, but reviews are few and far between.

Yes. I have done many brews on it now and it hits the mark every time. If you are a control freak and fussy about hitting number or just like the controllability it’s great. Easy to set up and I’ve not needed to adjust since.
I have used it for step mashing, single infusion and even Sous Vide cooking.

Full disclaimer; I was part of the test/roll out process but have no financial/personal connection with the company. I did recommend The Malt Miller (Rob) to look at supplying it but it was wholly their decision to follow that up.

From a negative point of view I can only criticise the price. For that sort of money you can buy an all-in-one system. However, I wanted to do double batch brewing and at the time all-in-ones were only 23ltrs. I was also already kitted our with a 3 vessel SS system.

The other testers I know are all still using their units and are very happy with them. We did get them at a slightly discounted price but they are older models than the units sold today.

I hope this helps you and I’m happy to answer any specific questions if you have them.

Cheers for the quick reply, good to hear it's still going strong 2 years later.

I do have a couple more questions if you don't mind!

What size elements are you using?

How is your power supply wired? As in what is it connected to?

I am running a 3KW ULD element and 2.4KW in the HLT and Boiler. One element connected to the controller and the other to a separate fused ring main. I had the electrics wired by an electrician especially.

I brew in my garage which is separated to the house. The sparky ran armoured cable from my house main fuse box to a separate fuse box in the garage. Sorry, I don’t know what output it’s rated at. I just told him what other stuff I would be running. TV, fridges etc.
The lights are on another separate spur from the house.

I would say just a standard 3kw element would do the job. The other element is just to save time. I couldn’t get a rolling boil with the 3kw ULD element in the 70ltr boiler so had to add the extra element and get rid of the gas burner back up.

I run the 2.4kw at full power (just plugged in the wall) and dial the 3kw ULD element (connected to the controller) at 50% power when boiling.

How do you get power to the controller? Just a normal domestic plug? Or something else?

I'm asking because the instructions are a bit confusing. They mention the input power supply is capable of drawing 15a max but at the same time the elements can draw up to 15a and the pumps nearly 3a. So that is potentially higher then what the input can draw. Maybe I'm missing something, but it does not add up.

It just plugs in to a standard socket with 13 amp fuse.

The controller has a 15amp fuse protecting the elements and 3amp protecting the pumps. I have run the 3kw element on 100% power and the chugger pump together with no issue. The controller is plugged into a breaker which has never popped!

One word of caution though. The 3 amp fuse is internally mounted. If it pops and needs replacing you have to open the casing, which invalidates the warranty.

My other pump (HLT) is a little 12v which I just plug in the wall rather than controller. It’s just easier for me that way.

Thanks again for the feedback, I think for my own piece of mind I'll get an electrician to install a 16a socket so as not to overload a domestic one.

I'm very interested to hear feedback from others too!

Ended up pulling the trigger and buying this controller. Only a couple of brews in but really enjoying the control and accuracy it provides. Support has been great too with some questions I had.

I’m glad you are pleased with it. If you have any questions about functions let me know.

How did you wire it in?

I’m glad you are pleased with it. If you have any questions about functions let me know.

How did you wire it in?
Cheers Zee.

For the power in I had a 16a RCBO installed in the shed consumer unit and wired to a 16a industrial socket. For the elements and pumps power output I wired those to domestic sockets. Each pump/element has a 13a domestic plug attached on a short lead. This makes it easy to disconnect gear for cleaning.

Went with 2800w round elements from brew pi, they have more then enough power.

Last edited:
Back