Eisbock method

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's definitely an upper limit, but I don't know what it is. I can tell you my 16% RIS never carbed though, I ended up dumping all the bottles into a corny keg :confused:

Re your other thread, Steve. Did you ever get to compare yours against a commercial Eisbock?
I have since tasted Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, but I didn't do a side by side comparison. From memory though the Aventinus was much better, but it's an exceptional beer so not surprising.

Since starting to brew in the summer I've targeted beers I've enjoyed over the years, but the GH recipe seemed wrong. Sometimes names are misleading, but I remember having Eisbocks in Frankfurt in the early 90s and was sure someone told me that they were made by freezing.
Yeah without the freeze concentration it's really just a doppelbock.

Definitely helps to keg to carbonate after the freezing process. I used a chest freezer @ -20C for the final freeze phase and the final product got to 26% ABV (lab tested). I kept lowering the temp and used a colander to let the liquid drip to the bucket below.

I have separated the beer into a couple of different batches to try and see what works best.

First trial was to put 4L into this.
PXL_20201229_164603054.jpg

It froze into a big block and I let it drop through into some bottles to collect. In all I would guess it has come to about 16% give or take. It was a slow process to get it to come out of the bottom tap.

I will not be recommending this method to anyone.

Next up is to try and freezing in the FV.

Here goes

but a definite no on the horse fly, madness to even suggest such a thing.
I think Hall and Woodhouse of Blandford Forum (apparently- I always thought they were at Blandford St Mary) might take issue with that comment. The Blandford fly is a nasty little rodent compared with the common or garden horse fly.
I see they've changed their bottle label to make you think its a fishing fly. Cowards!

Last edited:
Second attempt was significantly better. My fv got cold but never froze. I transferred to a 5L demi and waited for it to crystalise then just poured it out. This removed just over 2.5l of clear ice, so I'd guess there wasn't much alcohol left.

My only concern is oxidisation, it was -3°C which would have slowed it down but only time will tell...

I might bang a 2l pet in the freezer for a day or so, then take it out inverted over a jug for a few evening tipples. Least it gets weaker as the night progresses.

UPDATE.

Cracked the first bottle of this last night. It was flat, but I tried to see past it, told myself it was more of a wine/liquor.

I've not tried one of these before so it is hard to say if I succeeded. But there was no apparent oxidation and with a side by side of the doppelbock there was no negative flavour development through this process, it was also crystal clear.

Big boozy hit and lots of malt to meet it. Not too bitter and nothing from the hops came through at all...? It was quite nice flat, but not sure what the carbonation would bring to it, thoughts?

I probably won't do again until I can carb it, but I have really enjoyed the process.

Latest posts

Back