EKG SMaSH - has my boil gone wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@RichHall Hi Rich, Don't worry about any trub.... THIS is trub in my first piccie! hahaha I deliberately fermented the whole mash to see what happens, I'm now getting to the drinking stage, just got to let it carb and condition. Pic 2 shows how the beer recovers from the trubby mess. This brew is from the same recipe as yours - Marris otter and East kent Goldings. https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/mash-n-ferment.82238/

Pic Mash n Ferment 2.jpg
Pic B#15 Mash n Ferment 1.jpg

Having now (almost) gone through the first fermentation, I can see the benefit of using multiple vessels, rather than my single pot approach - as a load of the sediment from the mash and/or boil could have already been disposed of.
We'll see how this one goes, if it takes a particularly long time to clear down, then I might ditch my one pot approach - let's give it a few weeks and find out!
Racking off into a second vessel near or at the end of the first part of the primary has its advantages since
it is, in my view, more likely to give you clearer beer at packaging time. However, given enough time it should clear in the first vessel, and some will argue that you increase the risk of infections and oxidising your beer by the transfer stage. There are peolpe on here who practice both methods, as indeed do I, or just stick to one method . I suggest you give racking off a try on your next brew to see if it makes any difference to you, then decide what's best for you.

Trub (break material) in the FV won't harm your beer. Providing you leave it behind before you bottle/keg is more important than preventing it getting in the FV.

With regards to the obnoxious posting about experts, blah, blah. Great nice one... But ultimately, if it doesn't taste bad then it's not an issue. Because my beer tastes fine to me; with all the trub going into the FV post boil and post cooling; tells me there is nothing wrong with that process.

Having tried both minimal and lots of trub in my FV; I can comfortably say without doubt in my numerous n=1 "experiments" that I can't taste any difference. So, I don't care about it. No need for fancy books written by "field experts". If it tastes *****, change it. If it tastes good, then it's not broken so don't fix it.

When it comes to making beer in the garage, that's all it is. You can polish the turd and make it everything and anything you want it to be. But at the end of he day, it's home-brewing. Cutting corners and saving time is often a good tradeoff for what a commercial entity will do with 5BBL.

Just a quick update - after a few more days it had cleared down loads, so got it bottled up - just need a little more patience to allow it to carb up, then will get to give a taster!

Not sure about you guys, but I'm already itching to get another brew on the go!!

20 in 7 months Houston we have a problem, all jokeing apart that's some going when you say small brews how big, I would do one but I have no fv's empty all 3 are full, I have forty bottles empty so as soon as on is empty I will brew acheers.

Usually 15l in the fv,leaving 25-28 bottles
So that's like 500 bottles since Christmas. But 3 of those brews are still in fvs, with approx 50 bottles in the cellar
With BBQs and mates coming round and drinking my beer, I've probably consumed circa 300 of the 400 produced so far this year. 2 a day isn't that bad is it?

2 a day gawd i'm alcoholic only joking, if I told the doctor how much I drink at 66 she would prob fall off her chair ashock1ashock1ashock1ashock1 i aim to slide in my coffin with smash and bang shouting that was a hell of a ride happy brewing

Just a quick update - after a few more days it had cleared down loads, so got it bottled up - just need a little more patience to allow it to carb up, then will get to give a taster!

Not sure about you guys, but I'm already itching to get another brew on the go!!

clapa

It will get worse. Or better, pending!
First get your equipment in order. Fermentation vessels, sieve, mill, 5 liter graduated plastic jug, spare waterlocks, electronic thermometer (Inkbird is good), and be sure your housemate(s) agree with what you're doing.
Then: get a book.
Then: show pictures of your beer.
Then brew more.

You're one of us now acheers.

clapa

It will get worse. Or better, pending!
First get your equipment in order. Fermentation vessels, sieve, mill, 5 liter graduated plastic jug, spare waterlocks, electronic thermometer (Inkbird is good), and be sure your housemate(s) agree with what you're doing.
Then: get a book.
Then: show pictures of your beer.
Then brew more.

You're one of us now acheers.

Haha! Equipment pretty much in order - although ordered an engraving pen to graduate my boiler, as if I stick with single pot mash, boil & ferment, then it's a bit of a guessing game understanding what I'm left with at the various stages.

Just ordered Graham Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Real Ale, as I understand it's got an Arkells 3B recipe - a pretty bog standard session brew, but I love the stuff! Once that comes through, I'll be ordering ingredients to get that on the go.

Might brave some pics with the next effort!

"sieve, mill, 5 liter graduated plastic jug, spare waterlocks, electronic thermometer (Inkbird is good)"

A what what what?
Not got any of that. I use a tea urn, a plastic FV and a cheap 99p leccy thermometer for measuring my mash temp
Half the time I don't even bother with a water lock, just a blob of tissue stuffed in the hole, or I use a 25l plastic wide mouth barrel with the lid screwed on loosely.

Back