El Cheapo the Boiler blew today!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I lost my El Cheapo boiler today when the element went "Phttt!" and tripped the MCB in the house as well as the one in the garage.

(When I got into the house, SWMBO already had the kick-stool in the kitchen strategically located to reset the MCB.) :thumb:

It's lasted nearly two years and it's been well used so the only mystery is "Why?"

I actually saw the "flash" out of the corner of my eye, but when I examined everything after I got the lights back on there was nothing untoward. i.e. No burned wiring, no loose wiring, no loose connectors, no leaks etc. I presume that the element had had enough of boiling water for hours on end and called it a day.

Ah well, such is life. It's now in the bin so time to source another element and build something similar. :thumb:

Any ideas for a really cheap boiler element without ripping the insides out of a kettle? :?:

Boiler.jpg

I got my element direct from Peco Services. Cheapest place I could find, reasonable postage prices and quick delivery. Seem to be the same elements a number of HBS sell.

Following, I'm looking for the best cheap element available too.

Went to Wilkos the other day to look at the cheap kettles, all the shelves were full apart from the £5 kettle one that was empty. Was thinking maybe there's a lot of homebrewers in this area but I think it's more likely just cheap people :lol:

Following, I'm looking for the best cheap element available too.

Went to Wilkos the other day to look at the cheap kettles, all the shelves were full apart from the �£5 kettle one that was empty. Was thinking maybe there's a lot of homebrewers in this area but I think it's more likely just cheap people :lol:

Maybe have been me. Bought a couple a little while ago and fitted them just like Dutto's boiler. I've got 2 in mine though. I'm not quite patient enough to wait for 1to start a boil

Thanks for that but by the time it gets here I may be in France! (Despatched free but it's from Hong Kong!) :lol:

For the last few brews I've only used the "boiler" for heating the Strike Water and Sparge Water so I'm not really needing rapid heating.

I'm also looking at using one of my scratched FV's as well so I'm thinking of getting a couple of these (one in use and one as a spare) on the basis that it will be easier to fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DC87BPY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any comments? :?: :?:

PS

Just read the only review so definitely NOT this particular element ... :doh:

... just something like it! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dutto

What about this
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-220V-1-5...-for-Electric-Kettle-/290913584715?nav=SEARCH

Pretty cheap and you just use a computer cable plug I believe. You'd need at least 2 though as they are only 1.5kw

DONT EVER USE A Puter lead for an element. the plugs may be similar but the cables are not and you risk a fire burnt hand and shock!

you NEED cables capable of handling the load otherwise they can heat up and things can go awfully wrong very quickly.

Buy kettle leads to power kettle elements, or regret it.

Not a bad run tho @Dutto, the 1.5kw elements linked to above may need a little gasket modding as they are designed for thin metal pot walls, well the 2 i fitted to a hlt did. but they work a treat and the simple plastic back cover is a nice touch.

surely argos will have some budget kettles tho?

DONT EVER USE A Puter lead for an element. the plugs may be similar but the cables are not and you risk a fire burnt hand and shock!

you NEED cables capable of handling the load otherwise they can heat up and things can go awfully wrong very quickly.

Buy kettle leads to power kettle elements, or regret it

Oops. At least I know for next time.

Thanks, you may have saved me some fingers 😁

Buy kettle leads to power kettle elements, or regret it.

Not a bad run tho @Dutto, the 1.5kw elements linked to above may need a little gasket modding as they are designed for thin metal pot walls, well the 2 i fitted to a hlt did. but they work a treat and the simple plastic back cover is a nice touch.

surely argos will have some budget kettles tho?

Thanks for that. :thumb:

When I retired I did an "office clean-out" and dumped about six computer leads, so I was thinking the usual "Bugger! I just knew I should have saved them!" :lol:

I have some bits of silicone left over from a baking sheet that I bought to seal the element into El Cheapo so I will be able to knock up a washer no problem.

With regard to going the "Argos Kettle" route, it's so cold out there in the garage that I just can't be bothered to go through it all again to save what is a lot less money than the missus spends getting her hair done! :thumb:

Not that I would EVER dare use that as a yardstick in polite conversation of course! :whistle:

In my experience the basic computer leads blow their fuses long before they have a chance to get hot, but eitehr way they don't work and well worth the few quid for a hot plug lead.

Again Elements and cables direct from Peco Services are pretty cheap and good quality.

In my experience the basic computer leads blow their fuses long before they have a chance to get hot, but eitehr way they don't work and well worth the few quid for a hot plug lead.

Again Elements and cables direct from Peco Services are pretty cheap and good quality.

The only problem is that Peco don't have any elements in stock at the moment and refer you to suppliers who add so much "premiums plus postage" that they suddenly aren't all that economical. :thumb:

I'd maybe give them a call as I had an email from them when I was after one to say they were back in stock but that note on the website hasn't changed, but yes I would only buy from them as the reseller mark up is to high for my tastes.

My DIY boiler uses a pair of the eBay elements Callumbo suggested, fitted to a plastic FV. They've done sterling work over a couple of dozen brews so far, although I did have to remove the thermal cut-out discs to stop them tripping out mid-boil (which was easy enough).

Definitely don't use computer leads with these. Maplin do 10 Amp hot condition sockets for £2.99 a piece, and they're a bit fiddly to wire up but are what you need. (I had a 6 Amp one melt on me after trying to speed things up by wrapping the boiler in a duvet. Never again...)

Many thanks for everyone's input. :thumb:

I think I might have cracked the problem as a fellow Forum member has offered me the element out of a wallpaper stripper similar to this one ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00074EPO6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I particularly liked the 240V listing because, after looking into the UK 240V supply system, I am left wondering if the 220V rating elements are man enough for the job.

This is the extract that grabbed my attention:

"Depending on the voltage sensitivity of the product and the variance from nominal
of the actual supplied voltage, it may not be advisable to use a 220VAC specific
device in the UK or a 240VAC specific device in Mainland Europe etc.
For instance a 240VAC supply can rise to as high as 254.4VAC and still be within
tolerance, but the maximum rated voltage for a 220VAC product is only 242VAC."

I'm not sure what the "voltage sensitivity" of a heating element is but I definitely prefer one that is rated for 240V, so looking forward to delivery.

Enjoy the full article here ...

http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/faqs/FA144717/

Again, many thanks for everyone's input. I will post a photo when I have built "El Cheapo II". :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
...interesting, I have one of those paper strippers sitting doing nothing in my now emptyish garage...and I no longer have wall paper...

Cheers

Clint

...interesting, I have one of those paper strippers sitting doing nothing in my now emptyish garage...and I no longer have wall paper...

They obviously work then! :whistle: :whistle:

I was once using one when a mate who didn't understand the difference between "latent heat" and "sensible heat" saw me bend down, picked up the steamer head and put it up against my backside. :nono: :nono:

Four instant blisters, each about the size of an old 50p piece! :oops: :oops:

Happy Days? :?:

PS

For anyone not in the know:

Sensible Heat is measured as a substance rises in temperature and it takes ONE calorie to heat ONE gram of water ONE degree celsius.

Latent Heat is measured as a substances changes state and it takes FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY calories to change ONE gram of water from a vapour to a liquid at 100 degrees celsius.

In other words, sticking a steamer up against your skin as a gram of steam condenses is like pouring nearly half a litre of boiling water over you; and nobody in their right mind would do that as a joke! :doh:

We are still mates; but only just! :thumb:

El Cheapo lives again!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Many thanks to the member of this Forum that sent me TWO of these steamers ... ! :thumb: :thumb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Earlex-SS12...paper+stripper

Neither element had a lot of calcium so it was really simple to remove and install. (I just sawed the steamer in two, removed the element and fitted the new element in the same hole that contained the original Tesco kettle element).

El Cheapo is now fully tested and ready to rock-and-roll! :thumb:

First photo is new element (with spare alongside). Second photo shows neat socket for plug.

Magic and well chuffed ...

... especially as the elements are both rated for 240V! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Looks a nice job! How is the socket fitted to the element? What do you use to make the seal water tight? Is that a tap on the other side? Which tap?

Cheers

Clint

Latest posts

Back