Elderflower champagne fermentation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just redecorated the entire inside of our garage with one of my 2ltr bottles of Elderflower- despite ’Burping’ them all 2 days earlier 😱

Can anyone tell me the purpose of adding white wine vinegar to elderflower champagne.
Because adding malt vinegar would make it smell like a bloody chip shop, you blaggard!

All the stuff I've looked at says it's to lower the pH which yeast like more. You get various recipes with acid additions to things like citric, tartaric, malic... The tartness actually works really well and I'd never do elderflower champagne, and especially cordial without a good dose of the sour stuff.

I did some flowering currant wine and the pH dropped to 2.8. Fermentation stopped until I raised the pH to 5 with precipitated chalk (calcium carbonate). So test the pH when doing country wines if this happens to you. I don't normally add citric acid now.

I asked the vinegar question as it contains acetic acid, and acetic acid is only 2 oxidation steps away (ethanol - acetaldehyde - acetic acid) from acetic alcohol (ethanol).

It just seemed a strange addition.

I’ll go with the citric acid from the lemons.

Because adding malt vinegar would make it smell like a bloody chip shop, you blaggard!

All the stuff I've looked at says it's to lower the pH which yeast like more. You get various recipes with acid additions to things like citric, tartaric, malic... The tartness actually works really well and I'd never do elderflower champagne, and especially cordial without a good dose of the sour stuff.
White wine vinegar is fine I have made it and it tastes great don’t worry

Latest posts

Back