Elderflower champagne in a corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintingken

Reaction score
I'm going to knock up some elderflower champagne this weekend and realised I have a spare 9L corny. My theory is that rather than burping loads of plastic bottles I can just do it in the corny and serve it in my keezer.

I will ferment it for about 5 days in a FV and it will be a very low ABV.

The big question is- will I just be pouring foam? I realise that balancing the length of line is important but has anyone else served it in a keezer/ kegarator?

Never tried it, but sounds great! Let me know how you get on. I love elderflower champagne and cordial, those my champagne has been described as very rustic 😂

Never tried it, but sounds great! Let me know how you get on. I love elderflower champagne and cordial, those my champagne has been described as very rustic 😂
It couldn’t have been easier to make to be fair. Very low ABV, about 3% I think and as it was peak pandemic I used a little bread yeast. It went down like free ice cream.

From my understanding, the biggest danger is mould growing in the elderflower during fermentation. 5 days worked last year so fingers crossed. I will let you know how it turns out. Just need a sunny day now to pick the elderflower!

Plenty of elderflowers around at the moment, provided you know where to look. Good luck finding a sunny day though!

I got mine started on Wednesday, OG was 1.078, so a little stronger than yours. Getting very murky with yeast now, should be ready to strain into a couple of DJ's tomorrow.

I'm going to knock up some elderflower champagne this weekend and realised I have a spare 9L corny. My theory is that rather than burping loads of plastic bottles I can just do it in the corny and serve it in my keezer.

I will ferment it for about 5 days in a FV and it will be a very low ABV.
I made my first Elder Flwr fizz last year, made it in a fermentasaurus under pressure and then transfrerred to a keg under pressure.
Worked well after it had fully carbed I did serve some from the keg but it was a bit green and warm. I counterpressure bottled it and so ended up with clear carbed Eld fizz. Worked great and tasted great. Was about 9 % though.
Yeast wise I used kveik for one of them and finished it with champagne yeast and the other just champagne yeast.
Needed a fair amount of wine yeast nutrient.
I pour the boiling water directly onto the flowers so I think that kills the native yeasts etc, champagne yeast is a kill strain and the high alcohol of the finished product and the pH is a fairly harsh environment for competitors.

I made my first Elder Flwr fizz last year, made it in a fermentasaurus under pressure and then transfrerred to a keg under pressure.
Worked well after it had fully carbed I did serve some from the keg but it was a bit green and warm. I counterpressure bottled it and so ended up with clear carbed Eld fizz. Worked great and tasted great. Was about 9 % though.
Yeast wise I used kveik for one of them and finished it with champagne yeast and the other just champagne yeast.
Needed a fair amount of wine yeast nutrient.
I pour the boiling water directly onto the flowers so I think that kills the native yeasts etc, champagne yeast is a kill strain and the high alcohol of the finished product and the pH is a fairly harsh environment for competitors.
Good to hear that went well. Mine is the kids version so hopefully that wild yeast do some of the heavy lifting 😂

Back