Elderflower champagne - To boil or not to boil?

Discussion in 'Wine, Cider, Mead and Kombucha Discussion.' started by Spoon, May 26, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. May 26, 2019 #1

Spoon

Spoon

Spoon

Regular.

My old laptop died taking all my recipes with it. I Think it was something like 12 heads, zest of 5 lemons and juice of two, 1.5 lb of sugar in 5l of water (which when made in 15l batches strained and filled a 3gal carbouy, and then 3x demi johns after the primary).

But I definitely boiled it for ~15 minutes, then cooled it and strained it into the fermenter.

Pretty much every recipe I find on google though just put the ingredients in boiling water to kill the yeast then puts the whole lot into a big fermenter, only straining the ingredients out later.

Who's right and what's best?

2. May 27, 2019 #2

tonyhibbett

tonyhibbett

tonyhibbett

Landlord.

Boiling drives of most of the aroma. I put mine (250 ml flowers only) into a sweet jar, cover with boiling water then seal the jar. After 24 hours, I strain the infusion, add sugar (800g), 250 ml grape juice concentrate, 10 g tartaric acid, 5 g tannin, 3 teaspoons of glycerin and 5g of pectolase, topped up t0 1 gallon with warm water then pitch the yeast and nutrient.

3. May 29, 2019 #3

Wynott

Wynott

Wynott

4. Jun 12, 2019 at 4:37 PM #4

Bernardsmit

Bernardsmit

Bernardsmit