Elderflower cordial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith James

Reaction score
New to this,can I make a wine out of, Elderflower cordial,if so what ingredients do I need, Thanks Keith

A member made this many years ago it may be worth a try -

This turned out like a crisp chardonnay but without any grape juice.

3L Aldi apple juice from concentrate
1/3 of a 500ml bottle of Belvoir Elderflower cordial (Morrisons)
800g white sugar
1L water
1tsp Pectolase
1tsp yeast nutrient (dap)
1tsp bentonite
1tsp youngs GP wine yeast
1/4tsp grape tannin (or a cup of very strong black tea)

Original gravity was 1.102, but topped up with more apple juice to neck after 2 days when fermentation had settled down.
Racked after 5 weeks. 1 campden tablet added. FG 0.992 ABV about 15%
Bottled at 11 weeks.
Started drinking at 2 months in the bottle.

Notes:
The elderflower has faded but combined with the apple it gives a very pleasant wine similar to a chardonnay and does not really taste of apple either. Could probably cut back a bit on the sugar to 700g and add oak chips.
Very impressed with this one considering the simple origins & lack of grape juice. Looks lovely in the bottle.
I would consider it the "House white".
Aldi apple juice is quite light in colour to start with. I don't think this would work with darker apple juices.

800g white sugar
1L water
1tsp Pectolase
1tsp bentonite

Original gravity was 1.102, but topped up with more apple juice to neck after 2 days when fermentation had settled down.
Bottled at 11 weeks.

Notes:
The elderflower has faded but combined with the apple it gives a very pleasant wine similar to a chardonnay and does not really taste of apple either. Could probably cut back a bit on the sugar to 700g and add oak chips.
Very impressed with this one considering the simple origins & lack of grape juice. Looks lovely in the bottle.
Aldi apple juice is quite light in colour to start with. I don't think this would work with darker apple juices.
Thank you very much,the cordial I'm going to try was made by myself yesterday,Cheers Keith

800g white sugar
1L water
1tsp Pectolase
1tsp bentonite

Bottled at 11 weeks.

Notes:
Just a little bump. I made this a couple of months ago and was really pleased with how it turned out. I used half of the Cordial and only had ASDA apple juice so it did end up quite dark in colour. Delicious though, thanks for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back