Elderflower wine from ambucus nigra f. porphyrophylla ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Can you make Elderflower and Elderberry wine from the porphyrophylla species of elderflower. This is the one with pink flowers and very dark leaves.

pl2000004449.jpg

I've just started a 10ltr batch of champagne with sambucas nigra,I clipped the stalks off right down to the flower heads as far as possible this year, last year I didn't do it as much but racked off the juice after 4 days.

I've just started a 10ltr batch of champagne with sambucas nigra,I clipped the stalks off right down to the flower heads as far as possible this year, last year I didn't do it as much but racked off the juice after 4 days.

What's your recipe please?

Hi, Last year I tried for a wild yeast fermentation but nothing happened and so after 4 days I transferred the syrup into a clean dj and added wilko wine yeast compound,it turned out great and I carbed the fully fermented (.995 ) with 10g sugar per litre.
This year I used same recipe but made 10 ltrs... Collected 22 decent flower heads, zest and juice of 5 large lemons, 1500 g sugar,1 tsp yeast nutrient,1 tsp pectolaise.Again I tried for a natural ferment so after dissolving the sugar in approx 1.5 ltrs boiling spring water, topped up to 10ltrs and @20c put in the juice,zest ,tsp ingrediants and after checking flowers for bugs,clipped them close to petals and dropped them in and gave them a quick stir.I left it for 6 days and with no fermentation activity through airlock I tentatively opened the FV...unfortunately it was very moldy, but not one to be squeamish Ive again siphoned the must which has taken on the lovely pink colour racked it into 2 clean DJ's added a yeast starter from the only 3g of wine yeast I had ,and theyre now both bubbling away nicely, and all looks well, taste and smell test to be undertaken after its fully fermented, if everything is ok Ive saved some Prosseco bottles we drank and have got some caps and cages and will bottle prime @ 10g per ltr, maybe a little more if anybody has any advice on this?

Hi, Last year I tried for a wild yeast fermentation but nothing happened and so after 4 days I transferred the syrup into a clean dj and added wilko wine yeast compound,it turned out great and I carbed the fully fermented (.995 ) with 10g sugar per litre.
This year I used same recipe but made 10 ltrs... Collected 22 decent flower heads, zest and juice of 5 large lemons, 1500 g sugar,1 tsp yeast nutrient,1 tsp pectolaise.Again I tried for a natural ferment so after dissolving the sugar in approx 1.5 ltrs boiling spring water, topped up to 10ltrs and @20c put in the juice,zest ,tsp ingrediants and after checking flowers for bugs,clipped them close to petals and dropped them in and gave them a quick stir.I left it for 6 days and with no fermentation activity through airlock I tentatively opened the FV...unfortunately it was very moldy, but not one to be squeamish Ive again siphoned the must which has taken on the lovely pink colour racked it into 2 clean DJ's added a yeast starter from the only 3g of wine yeast I had ,and theyre now both bubbling away nicely, and all looks well, taste and smell test to be undertaken after its fully fermented, if everything is ok Ive saved some Prosseco bottles we drank and have got some caps and cages and will bottle prime @ 10g per ltr, maybe a little more if anybody has any advice on this?

Many thanks for this. I might just have time to give this a go before the end of Elderflower season.

So the Mrs has decided she wants to brew some elderflower champagne. Ive done is bit of reading and most people suggest to just use sugar, water, elder flowers and some lemon juice. I’ve never tried elderflower champagne before, it seems at first glance this would turn out a bit tasteless?

I ordered some beer ingredients the other day and added on 400g of white grape concentrate and some champagne yeast, figured the grape juice could be added to give it a bit more body?

Just wondering if anybody could give me a basic recipe for a 5L batch? And/or some pointers?

Also should I buy some wine finings?

Thanks

Hi @Jakeyboi , mine from last year was far from tasteless, It was the first time I ever made it and maybe I just got lucky but everyone who tried some said it was excellent...great fun as well popping the swing top bottles I used. The recipe I used is a couple of posts up. Not sure it needs the wgjc ,maybe make 2 batches,1 with and 1 without ? Pick the freshest flowers possible.

My mum used to make elderflower champagne with just elderflowers and sugar. It was delicious.

@kelper , yes I found the flavour to be quite strong, more than enough.
In answer about the steep or boil, I steeped as wanted wild yeast to ferment, I think boiling might diminish the taste a bit?, not sure, maybe it would increase it.I have just started another batch with white flowers ,same recipe but swapped a couple of lemons for limes and put wine yeast straight in.
Cant tell if its fermenting as the FV isnt airtight but no reason to think it isn't underway. I think if folk are concerned about infections from the flower heads,maybe a crushed campden tab in the mix and leave for 24/30 hours before pitching yeast.

Back