Elderflower wine from cordial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfii

Reaction score
Hi, my first WOW was a resounding success, meant to keep a bottle or the local produce show in the autumn but unfortunately drunk it all.
I am looking to make an elderflower wine with cordial, can't for the life of me find a basic white recipe, can I use Wow and swap the OJ for apple juice and follow the recipe help would be gratefully appreciated. :thumb:

Most posts I have seen regarding making an easy white WOW have been the original recipe but with the substitution of OJ for AJ, so that might be your best bet :)

Considered this myself. My plan was to make it with white grape juice, adding the cordial in the later stage of fermentation, to preserve the elderflower bouquet, with some decent honey to make a medium dry white.

you got it spot on, if you substitute the OJ for AJ then you make a basic white, ferment it then add the cordial and let it ferment again. This should do the trick

tonyhibbett said:
Just check the elderflower cordial ingredients. Could be a spanner in the works there.
It's the Belviour, preservative free kind, thanks for all your input I will let you know how it goes, I have also started 40pts of On The Rocks blueberry cider and a Geordie mild.

Afraid no way to reduce sweetness apart from blending with a very dry wine. However you can add acid (tartaric or citric) to give a bit of bite and serve it very chilled. Were there any artificial sweeteners in the cordial?

tonyhibbett said:
Afraid no way to reduce sweetness apart from blending with a very dry wine. However you can add acid (tartaric or citric) to give a bit of bite and serve it very chilled. Were there any artificial sweeteners in the cordial?
No sweeteners,the cordial was the Belvoir one, I shall add a drop of basic white methinks, thanks for the help :)

Another approach is to convert it to liqueur. Vodka is so cheap these days. The extra alcohol will give it a bit more bite and slightly reduce the sweetness by dilution, depending on how much is added.

tonyhibbett said:
Another approach is to convert it to liqueur. Vodka is so cheap these days. The extra alcohol will give it a bit more bite and slightly reduce the sweetness by dilution, depending on how much is added.
That's a great idea, I just might try that instead of adding a dry white Thanks a lot you are a great font of knowledge :)

Elderflower is great stuff, but dry elderflower wine tends to be catty, (evokes cats ****) unless it is sparkling (elderflower champagne) so just as well it's slightly sweet!

Latest posts

Back